Thread: mini ball head that allows the ball to be removed?

mini ball head that allows the ball to be removed?

long story, but I've got a situation where I've got a ball that I need to get a head for. (it's for a clamp holding a small lightweight 12 inch 2nd monitor)

the ball measures 1 inch in diameter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2384.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	206914

it doesn't look like the Oben BD-02 ball comes out of the head, and I can't tell about the terra firma or the Giottos MH 1004, trying to get something cheap that works...

Re: mini ball head that allows the ball to be removed?

I googled 'ball clamp' and came up with all sorts of possibilities.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks Vaughn, all those that come up in that search are for connecting two balls together, whereas I need a thing that has only one ball clamp on one end and a 1/4 20 thread on the other...

I think I may have found one made by Ram, but follow up question: is 1/4" National Pipe Thread Taper Hole different then the 1/4 20 threads that all our tripod mounts use?

sorry dumb question i figured it out.

think I'm going with a long clamp and extra ball head made by a company called 'Ultralight' which makes stuff for underwater cameras....seems like they might have useful, (tho not cheap) stuff for many various purposes...
    Last edited by Chester McCheeserton; 17-Aug-2020 at 10:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    Thanks Vaughn, all those that come up in that search are for connecting two balls together, whereas I need a thing that has only one ball clamp on one end and a 1/4 20 thread on the other...

I think I may have found one made by Ram, but follow up question: is 1/4" National Pipe Thread Taper Hole different then the 1/4 20 threads that all our tripod mounts use?
    Yes it is quite different. 1/4 inch pipe is 0.54 inches in diameter. So 1/4" male taper pipe thread would start with an O.D. a bit smaller than .54" tapering up to about .54 inches. The bore of 1/4 inch pipe isn't 1/4 inch either, it's a bit bigger. I have a recollection that historically pipe sizes were named by their bore diameter and as materials improved the bore could be opened up; the decreased wall thickness would still be sufficiently strong.

David