Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendation on an 8x10 lens for tabletop and sculpture

Any recommendation on an 8x10 lens for tabletop and sculpture

Having trouble making up my mind. 300-360 seems to be the focal length that would be most appropriate.

On the list so far is a commercial Ektar 14” and a Schneider Symmar S 360. Other than that I’m struggling.

Any thoughts ?

Oh and I do a fair amount of color work as well.

Intrepid camera max bellows listed at 560mm
    Last edited by 1erCru; 15-Aug-2020 at 18:30.

Re: Any recommendation on an 8x10 lens for tabletop and sculpture

355mm G-Claron comes to mind, but for tabletop requires a lot of bellows extension. A 210mm G-Claron would require a lot less bellows extension. Do you know the maximum bellows extension on your 8x10? Might want to add that on to your post.

A 210-250 would be better.
    I'd suggest the Fujinon 250 f/6.7.

To build on what Greg sez, you need to double your bellows extension for 1:1 of your FL (which is 8X10 shooting area common in TT), so for 300mm, can your bellows extend to 600mm to achieve that???

And you want to shoot sculpture, so what scale/size will you shoot???

Your choice is a numbers game, so determine those first...

Steve K

I’ve been shooting 4x5 for three years and pretty much only use a schneider 210 Apo Symmar and occasionally a Rodenstock 150. I’ve never shot with an 8x10 and picked up an Intrepid. I was under the assumption that a 150 on a 4x5 was equivalent to a 300 on an 8x10. I have no frame of reference so am assuming my logic is faulty.

The sculptures aren’t large. Looking for a normal perspective but preferably a little bit beyond normal. Definitely don’t want it to look like a wide angle shot.

Given your choices, I'd try the Symmar-S 360. The Ektar (one of my favorites) will have a slightly different 'look', lower in contrast than the lenses you're used to. It would still be a fine choice for 'everyday' 8x10 work, too.
    I'd get a brace that runs between your front tripod leg and the front standard of your 8x10, too; view cameras are often a bit shaky at max extension, and you'll need small f/stops for DOF (and the resulting long exposures).
    Your 210 should work well if you're dealing with very small subjects and need to get more magnification on-film.
    Shooting close-up and tabletop work can be a fascinating challenge- best of luck, and post your results when you have any!

Most of my indoor work is done at or near 1:1. A 210mm works fine on my Lehman. I pre-focus with a tape measure. I run the bellows out to 420mm, then move the camera so the lens is 420mm from the subject. Fine focus on the ground glass.

I love my Kodak Ektar lenses, but the 14" Commercial Ektar is quite heavy, potentially too heavy for the Intrepid. I wouldn't dare put my 12" f4.5 Ektar on my 8x10 Intrepid.

The G-Claron 355mm is made for close up work. It is a "normal" lens . Not heavy. You will have good room to make the set ups and flexibility. Going in close with the 210, 250 is like shooting table top with a Nikon? Canon with a 35mm lens. Stay with the normal length. I d maybe a 480mm APO Ronar or a Nikon 450mm. How do I know? I do this table top myself. I have the 360MM f?6.8 and the G- Claron 355MM . the G-Claron is better overall . I do use a 480 APO Ronar.. It lets me back up a bit and does great close work. I find this a perfect combo ( I do have Fuji 250mm ab nd Sironar 240mm , and rearely use these for table top. When I go in close with those the background is still wide and hard to master in a still life. I ilke to have the "normal" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Most of my indoor work is done at or near 1:1. A 210mm works fine on my Lehman.
    +1!! Get a 210G-Claron.