Thread: "Collodion" documentary about Eric Overton

"Collodion" documentary about Eric Overton

The documentary film "Collodion"...

https://www.collodionfilm.com/

...about photographer Eric Overton...

https://www.ericoverton.com/

...is currently available for free viewing on the tubi.tv platform:

https://tubitv.com/movies/546812/col...f_preservation

I don't know how long it will remain there.

Re: "Collodion" documentary about Eric Overton

I watched it. Skimmed, actually. Over 1 hour long, and only a few seconds at the end show his collodion results, which are very poor. I just wish people with a lot of vision would master their medium before they start making art house documentaries about themselves. This was done a few years ago by the Cannes lady, shooting a lot of movie stars....very poorly. Vision is great. But don't wax eloquently about how you are preserving the environment in plates...when they look like this:

Compared to a wetplate by Carton Watkins, 1866, I'd say he's "preserving" the memory a tad better:

I watched it through and with great hope that it would be excellent. It was ok. Not focused enough in any one area or tying together it’s desired themes - a little collodion (some good, some not), many views on conservation (although a mush mosh), really rambling and trying-too-hard at intelligentsia and being boho at times (pointing at you, his sister), and at others seemingly pandering to a benefactor. For me, it was nice to see any work that elevates collodion in the moderdern collective conscience, and it was certainly a valid effort. I personally, just didn’t think it was as amazing as it could have been. Not sorry I watched it, but wouldn’t watch it again. Try it; YMMV.

Thumbs up Re: "Collodion" documentary about Eric Overton

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Compared to a wetplate by Carton Watkins, 1866, I'd say he's "preserving" the memory a tad better:

Beautiful. I will do some research on him. Is there any documentary or reading material you especially liked?

Lightbulb Re: "Collodion" documentary about Eric Overton

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I watched it. Skimmed, actually. Over 1 hour long, and only a few seconds at the end show his collodion results, which are very poor. I just wish people with a lot of vision would master their medium before they start making art house documentaries about themselves. This was done a few years ago by the Cannes lady, shooting a lot of movie stars....very poorly. Vision is great. But don't wax eloquently about how you are preserving the environment in plates...when they look like this:
    Technical imperfection is often, but not always, the mark of an amateur. Take Nicolai Fechin, for example. Or, Salvador Dali who could produce photorealistic work yet chose to spend a great deal of time with surrealism.

I am not suggesting that Eric is a living master or artist of their caliber. I have not even watched the film yet.

I took a look at Eric's website, his portfolio of art sculptures, his photographs, and his about me. I would not be surprised if he is an artist who can achieve technical perfection but chooses to produce a more "spirited" representation of his subjects so he can stand out.

Art education often starts realist and ends the opposite. Another telling sign is that his portfolio looks consistent between editions and mediums. Take his sculptures, for example. As a medical doctor and trained artist, he undoubtedly knows how to form the full human figure. Instead, he chose to produce expressive aged busts that could fit within the setting of any of his plates. That is my opinion at a glance.

I could be granting him too much credit. I have to watch the video and his explanation of his process to find out (I will).

I understand where you are coming from, though.

It reads like your desire is for a video that accurately represents what is technically possible with the medium. The typical person will have a poor idea of just how accurate wet plates can look if they only watch this video about the subject, judging by your reaction.

That is why researching the history of a medium you enjoy so important. Too bad schools don't have time or funding for that anymore.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I couldn't make it through the trailer...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."