Thread: Safelight for Ziatype & Platinum/Palladium?

Safelight for Ziatype & Platinum/Palladium?

My 40 watt yellow Bug light bulb, dating from probably the 1970s, finally died.

Went to out local hardware store and found the following options:
    Westinghouse Bug Light 60 watts A19 A-Line Incandescent Bulb E26 (Medium) Yellow: probably too bright
    FEIT Electric A19 E26 (Medium) LED Bulb Yellow 60 Watt: Can LED bulbs be used?
    Westinghouse 25 watts A19 A-Line Incandescent Bulb E26 (Medium) Amber: probably OK
    60-Watt Equivalent T3 Spiral CFL Yellow Light Bulb: CFL bulbs give off UV light?
    Sylvania 25-Watt Double Life G16.5 Incandescent small round Light Bulb
    Does anyone use any of the above light bulbs?

or ????

Actual user suggestions most welcome.

thanks

Re: Safelight for Ziatype & Platinum/Palladium?

I found a good LED safelight for my alt processes at Home Depot a while back that looks like it will be pretty good as the manufacturer said it has no uv output with a color temp of 2100 k.
    Fein BPAT19/LED 60 watt equivalent 4.5 watt.

I have used the 60W bug lights (incandesent) with no problems -- although I air dry the coated sheets in the dark.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I concur with the 60w yellow bulb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

I also have used bug lights for 10 years w/o any problems and dry the coated sheets with a small hand-held hair dryer -- works great.

I do not use a special colored bulb with Pt, Pd, or ZIatype.
    I use a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb which is 6-7 feet away from my work area. I have used this since 1990 with no problems. The one thing I Made sure of when I built this darkroom was no fluorescent sources.
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 17-Aug-2020 at 12:31. Reason: more info

Ended up getting the FEIT Electric A19 E26 (Medium) LED Bulb Yellow 60 Watt. Am in the process of updating my darkroom so might be a week or two till I test it out. Since I have been coating paper under a "Bug" light for years, prefer it to a low wattage incandescent bulb.

Also replaced the 2'x4' 4 bulb fluorescent lighting units in the suspended grid drop ceiling with 2'x4' replacement LED units. Love them over the fluorescent lighting but they were a bear to wire up. Previous fluorescent lighting fixtures had the wiring come down through the unit and wiring connections made from underneath the unit with a center "V" shaped channel covering up the wiring. The LED units are wired from the top to which since they lie just a few inches under the floor joists are impossible to work on from above the LED units. Also the junction box atop the LED lighting fixture/unit seems to be designed to hold and contain far thinner wires than the 12-2 wires that I used to wire up the fluorescent units. Had to install 4x4 junction boxes above the units to hold the 12-2 wires and a lot thinner gauge wires running down to the LED units. I have a graphiclite "professional desktop viewer" which I use to inspect wet and dry prints with. To my eyes the LED units match the light quality of the graphiclite many times better than the previous fluorescent units.

I would use a CD and check insure the LED's are not putting out UV. My similar tubes in the train shed do so.
    I found it best to remove ALL fluorescent fixtures from the darkroom.