Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Film vs. Digital

Film vs. Digital

Photoshop was easier to use on the Mac.....when the software is the SAME on both platforms.

I use both. I wish Apple would make the right mouse button native, naturally integrated and provide the darned two button mouse standard.

Another handy thing about WindoZe: The default 'open' dialog allows one to type in a URL to open an image file. Handy in PS. Try it!

Film vs. Digital

I'd like to hear what the original poster, Richard (remember him?) thinks about all the non-snow-job, non-ultra-tech and just plain common language answers he's got to his question.

Film vs. Digital

jj: I use both. I wish Apple would make the right mouse button native, naturally integrated and provide the darned two button mouse standard.
    Another handy thing about WindoZe: The default 'open' dialog allows one to type in a URL to open an image file. Handy in PS. Try it!

JJ, I have both on my desk, sharing one monitor and one mouse. It's a standard, Microsoft two-button optical usb mouse and it works right out of the box on my Mac, both buttons. If you get one of those with additional buttons, you'll have to install the software to make use of the additional buttons, but that's true on the PC too.

Also, as far as I know, you can type in the path on the Mac too, you just have to use a very different convention.

Dave: Like the fellows at the Mac booth who tried to convince me years ago the Photoshop was easier to use on the Mac.....when the software is the SAME on both platforms.

Well, yes and no... It is not Photoshop that makes the difference, it's the OS. I use both in my work. One makes me fight it every day, the other makes me forget it exists. Care to guess which is which?

Now back to the topic - I have a simple question: Why is it always film vs. digital? Or PC vs. Mac, or Canon vs. Nikon or ... Why do we force ourselves and often others around us to live in a binary world? Most of us here are just amateurs, after all... Whichever camera we pick will surely be able of taking much better pictures than we are, so why not just pick whatever makes us feel the least guilty about spenindg all that money and enjoy?

Film vs. Digital

Richard: I shoot conventional silver film and will continue to do so. I am toying with the idea of adding some digital in the future. A good friend that is pretty savy tells me that in comparing digital to film, the likely ratio is a camera which shoots digital at 15 or more mega pixels.... is equal to high quality Ektachrome.

Having done both, I can confidently say this: to be able to enjoy digital, you have to be comfortable with Photoshop or at least with the idea of learning it. You also need to have a good quality, calibrated monitor. Finally, you definitely need to shoot RAW. It does have a very different paradigm ("expose to the right") and workflow, but it offers the greatest rewards. Also, be prepared to upgrade every few years and live with steep depreciation.

So, to answer your question, even a 12 megapixel camera could equal slide film, but only if you mastered all of the above. If any of these make you uncomfortable (and there are others too!), you may end up with a lot of frustration and might be better off saving your money for film instead.

Regards,

Film vs. Digital

I refer you to the FBI standards for resolution as per requirements for evidence. Very informative. http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/april2002/swgitfield1.htm

Film vs. Digital

John Berry I refer you to the FBI standards for resolution as per requirements for evidence.

Megosh, I think I've had an epiphany! Or maybe it's a stroke.

Film vs. Digital

Odd Marko, I've never fought with PS in Windows. I just use PS all the time & I never think about the OS. As well, my virus protection program has kept me from having any spyware or virus issues at all. I suggest people have one installed. I do, and don't have a problem. But yes, back to the original topic......

Film vs. Digital

Richard Boulware

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this, WITHOUT a snow-job in ultra-tech. Just plain common language please

I fear this thread -hasn't lived up to your expectations. In fact I fear we've chased you away.
    If you sort thru it and ignore the occational off topic - there is a simple answer in there somewhere.

speaking of off topic-
    jj a default setting to makes a phoney a camera-like noise, don't buy it - spite the manufacturer. Once I was near a table full of camera guys and heard what was almost the classic Nikon-F (close to the Nikon-S motordrive but with mirror sound.) It came from a little digital camera. I knew that very moment that something was terribly wrong with the whole paradigm.

Sort of like hearing a cell phone ringtone simulating and old fanshioned telephone with real bells in it. - But that beats a ringtone on someone's cell with "Little Brown Jug" in the middle of the last wedding I was at. I gave that person a real look of distain.
    One of the disadvantages of conventional cameras is their noise - I know a photographer that selected and uses a Leica camera because of its relative silence for use during ceromonies, which I think is why a lot of Leica rangefinder owners selected their camera. So it is amazing and disturbing when a digital camera is generating a lot of noise for no reason whatsoever, with the user having no clue how to turn the sound off, in the middle of a wedding. It makes noise when the menu button is pressed - when the release button is pressed slightly, indicating low light, when they the picture is taken anyway for fear that other adjustments might sound like mechanical ratcheting - and when the memory chip is removed -the blasted thing sounds like a 35mm rewinding! After people in front of me looked around with distain - I returned the camera to the owner who had asked me to use it as a favor. (then she had the nerve to say she thought it might make less noise for me...)
    The quiteness of digital is supposed to be an advantage.

I hadn't made so much noise at a wedding since the time I tried to use my 4x5 at another wedding, but got klutzy and dropped the film holder bouncing it off the balcony edge and cracking it open ruining my previous shot with a loud smack on the floor below (fortunatly missing everybody) and the same time as the minister indicated it was time for a moment of silence in prayer.

ON TOPIC: SORT OF
    Why do many people like B&W ?- -- I think often the paper choice - the texture choices are not yet available for inkjet printing digitally - there are some choices if you search and there are coatings that can be applied to art papers to keep the ink from running - but its not the same thing. Look ahead to the future for not only a reduction in cost for better quality at the sensor level but also at the printing end.

Also, for those who have taken their 66MP or even 88MP raw images to be printed as a 16x20 print. What resolution is actually used? The commercial printer I was going to use verified their firmware update for their equipment now allowed files larger than 12 MP but as I pressed further I found the actual process resulted in the resulution reduced to near 12MP just before printing. So what resolution are you really looking at when you see the print and compare it to a conventionally printed film print?

Digital is still in its infancy - expect big changes in the near future...

Film vs. Digital

Terence,

When outputting for something like a 16x20, 88MP would be overkill. While you could output to inket at 530 dpi, going to a Chromira, Lightjet, or Noritsu, you would be limited to just over 400 dpi of output rez.....if I recall, the max from Frontier is 302 dpi.

The big advantage would be maintaining in excess of 200 dpi for a 50" print. Being that I rarely print over 30 to 36 inches, a 39MP back would be more than sufficient.....if I could just afford it!

Film vs. Digital

Dave, I don't think it's odd you do not have problems with your computer, I think that's great. My whole point is that it should be a personal choice, not a thing to fight over. Ditto for cameras.

I am fairly proficient with both platforms, I don't have a problem installing or troubleshooting either. And I'm not saying I have problems with one of them, what I am saying is that that particular OS (not Photoshop, mind you, I find it remarkably stable across platforms!) simply feels clunky for the want of a better word to describe it, to the point that I feel as if having to fight it. Some people feel that, the others don't - it is a big deal to those who do and all the talk about it is the matter of annoyance to those who don't. To each his own, like I said above.

Now, just out of idle curiosity - what exactly made you think it was Windows I was refering to? I never said which one was it, did I?

Regards,