Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 11x14 Camera

Backpack for 11x14 Camera

Can anyone recommend a backpack that will carry an 11x14 camera and a modicum of accessories? Please don’t recommend a baby jogger. I’m only interested in backpacks.

Re: Backpack for 11x14 Camera

I use this brand (Trekker II) for 8x10 - a friend uses the Clipper for 11x14.

https://meipacks.myshopify.com/
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

There is another thread going on for ULF backpacks just a few items down. Why does MEI not show any images of their products other than the front basic? I would like to see if their suspension and straps are adjustable - what inside straps and pockets look like, are there any attachment points. Video reviews are almost non existent and not helpful.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    There is another thread going on for ULF backpacks just a few items down.
    I believe there's at least one ULF'er on the forum who's using what's referred to as a "portage pack," such as is made by Granite Gear:
    https://www.campsaver.com/granite-ge...opping_listing
    As you can tell, the packbag is the right shape/dimension for big rectangular formats, but I'm not sure the suspension is comparable to what you will find on traditional hiking backpack designs. If you're planning long trips (and aren't unnaturally "yoked," as the kids say) one option might be to buy a pack frame and use it with a cargo panel, with the camera in some variation of an ICU.

That is what I use for my 11x14. It is Granite Gear's larger one -- eats my Chamonix and room for several holders, and everything else. Don't know why I forgot -- haven't used the 11x14 in too many months, probably.

Major problem with it if one is tall (long back)...it will still work, but not a great fit. At 6'3" I have to mess with the straps to get it to carry well. A little funky. The suspension of good, not great. As a portage pack, it seems to be designed for hauling bulky equipment relatively short distances comfortably.

MEI packs -- yes...old website. I do not know if contacting the company for more info (or location of local dealers) will help. I ran into the pack while at my local camping/backpacking store. Returned with my 8x10 and checked it all out in person..and bought it. It is more of a travel pack concept (very comfortable on my back) which gives it some features that have come in handy for 8x10 (hide-away side pockets, detachable daypack that fits five 8x10 holders, suspension all hides away for plane use or storage.). I've been using it extensively since about 1996.

Good luck in your search.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I also use a portage pack for 11x14 with three holders and three lenses. It's big, but it works well.

Thanks, guys. I see REI carries some Granite Gear products. I’ll see what I can find there first.

Most anything that will fit on a llama or a burro;-)

I packed mules for a decade -- burros and llamas are much smaller so will fit into a smaller box when packing them. They still need air holes and good padding.

For my Chamonix 11x14 I use a Granite Gear Traditional 3.5 Portage Pack 496184-05. I constructed an insert from fairly rigid foam floor mats that I got from Home Depot. My Granite Gear bag holds my 11x14 Chamonix with some holders and lenses, meter, and everything else riding on top. To protect the GG:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...lass+protector. post #4

The camera's base faces my back and the GG faces the film holders. It simply does work in the field. Ride on my back is a far cry from my DANA backpack but doable for up to a mile. Does take 5 plus minutes to unload and to reload but if that bothered me, I wouldn't be shooting 11x14 in the field. Inner box with dividers was fabricated from 1/2" foam Floor Mats glued together. Ries tripod carried over the shoulder normally. When hiking short 4th class distances, I use it as a "walking stick" for balance. Also pack a large heavy duty trash bag at the bottom of the Granite in case of rain. Using the foam floor mat material adds a little bit of weight to the whole pack but super protects the equipment.

addendum: The 1/2" mats were glued together to form the "box" with dividers using an "all purpose" adhesive recommended by our local hardware store. After using the bag a few times, the seams started to come apart. The "all purpose" adhesive did not have enough flexibility when cured and its adhesive strength was not up to the job. Am currently putting together another box with dividers. For glue this time probably will use contact rubber adhesive, though just read an article on Limmer Mountaineering boots and acetone-based celluloid cement was mentioned so will have to try both on sample seams and see which works out better. Also looking into reinforcing the corners with 2" wide SAVAGE gaffer's tape. The tape sticks to the smooth side of the mat but not enough so will have to experiment with adding more (flexible) adhesive under the tape. But will first try to use some 2" strips of Seal (heat activated) adhesive backed canvas. It worked quite well on a tent repair many years ago for me. This time will be using 0.79" thick foam Floor Mats for the outside of the box and 1/2" for the divider and box that sits over the camera and film holders holding lenses, meter, etc. Also will be making a cardboard mock-up box to more accurately make the dimensions of the box to fit tightly inside the Granite Gear Pack.

Will post the finished backpack and insert.