Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mat Cutter Storage

Mat Cutter Storage

Greetings, I have a Logan 750 framers edge mat cutter that, according to Logan, should be stored flat.

I have been storing it on top of a roiling cart for as long as I have owned it, which is several years.

I have reached a certain age (70+) and my health is declining which makes it difficult to lift the mat cutter to the top of the shelf.

The other shelves on this rolling cart are for my wife's storage so I am not able to use them.

If I store it flat on the floor in my very small work room I will need to move it when I clean and vacuum. If I stand it up then I run the risk of the mat cutter becoming warped according to Logan.

That's the back story, now my question.

If you have a Logan 750 mat cutter, What, where or how do you store it?

Thanks in advance

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Re: Mat Cutter Storage

sell it and get one of these n a straight edge.
    https://www.dickblick.com/products/dexter-mat-cutter/

For the past 15 years I have moved mine back and forth from sitting on top of a shelf to having it lean up against a wall. I have never noticed any warp nor change.

I store mine in the box it came in on the floor under the large worktable where I store mats, frames, glass, and all the other paraphernalia related to mounting, matting, and framing photographs. When I need to clean under the table, I just pull it out, vacuum, then push it back under. I'm near 70 and, thankfully, I have no trouble moving it around or lifting up on to a table for use.

FWIW, I used one of those Dexter cutters that Paul references for many years before getting the Logan and, IMO, the Dexter cutter is a toy in comparison. I could be that I didn't cut enough mats with the Dexter to get the hang of it, but I find the Logan to be so much easier to use and more precise.

I'm completely ignorant of mat cutters, but looking at it, I would think that warping would result from leaning it against something at an angle. Storing it at a true 90 degree vertical angle should be OK.

Maybe something like an L-bracket on the side of the rolling cart, with a bungie cord to keep it flat against the side? Make the base high enough to keep it off the floor, but low enough that you could comfortably tilt it into and out of the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    FWIW, I used one of those Dexter cutters that Paul references for many years before getting the Logan and, IMO, the Dexter cutter is a toy in comparison. I could be that I didn't cut enough mats with the Dexter to get the hang of it, but I find the Logan to be so much easier to use and more precise.
    At the price of 32"x40" archival mat boards, a Dexter cutter is a poor choice. Another suggestion would be to try to find a way to hang the Logan cutter on a wall for storage. I found a narrow table and have mine permanently set up in the same room as my rather monstrous Ademco drymount press.

Drew Wiley

Either vertical or flat storage should be fine, just not leaning. Or you could take Ron's advice, sell your tractor, and hitch up an armadillo to pull the plow instead; but that option wouldn't appeal much to me.

Drew Wiley

Either vertical or flat storage should be fine, just not leaning. Or you could take Ron's advice, sell your tractor, and hitch up an armadillo to pull the plow instead; but that option wouldn't appeal much to me. If it's getting cumbersome to lift, you could permanently attach it to the top surface of a fold-up work table.

45er

The bed could quite possibly be held flat by attaching the unit to a well made extruded aluminum ladder with say 6 rungs and using right angle brackets to hold it together, that's the type of extrusion that they are making cnc printers and routers from.

I would guess that 60x30mm or 80x40mm section should be enough to keep it flat.

It's then quite straight forward to create the extra framework to hinge onto a small frame attached to the wood or bricks in your wall so you can fold it up and out of the way either unaided or with a small pulley system.

If you have the wall space you may be able to extend the end section to provide permanent support for the protruding right angle bar to keep it accurate.

Not so cheap but a workable solution.

John Olsen

Standing nearly straight up for the last 30 years or so has been fine for more than a thousand mattings. The company's warning is a worst case scenario, I think. Good luck with that aging process - I'm there too.