Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mat Cutter Storage

Re: Mat Cutter Storage

I hang mine on the wall - it is supported all around; I haven't noticed any warping issues but honestly, I use it so little of late.
    I still have the Dexter - it's fine with some patience and a lot of practice but I would hesitate to go back to it.

Drew Wiley

I'd love a big Speedmat. They start around $3500. It would save a lot of stress on the fingers; but now that I'm retired and use a computer keyboard far less, my hands and fingers have dramatically improved, so the Logan linear cutter is still adequate for intermittent usage. I have a somewhat more expensive earlier model, but it's also built atop some kind of coated MDF board, not exactly an ideal material, but not exactly bad either, and it's never warped. I wouldn't leave one out in a damp shed.

While I've stored my old C+H cutter flat for years...the comp-board base still exhibits a very slight amount of bow - but this does not affect its accuracy/usability in the least.

The Dexter produces cuts as well as any other system, but with more skill required. Also Dexter blades are more expensive, but in my experience many years ago, they last much longer than razor blades. I eventually shifted from Dexter to a Logan 4000. It's easier to use.

Drew Wiley

I gave up on that Dexter within a few weeks, sixty years ago. It's fine for art students, but not for any kind of serious production. In terms of razor blade quality, you have to find domestically made ones, and tailored for the specific mat thickness you are working with; it makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gary892 View Post
    Greetings, I have a Logan 750 framers edge mat cutter that, according to Logan, should be stored flat.

That's the back story, now my question.

If you have a Logan 750 mat cutter, What, where or how do you store it?

Thanks in advance

Gary
    I'm not sure which mat cutter I have, but its similar to the Logan. I store it vertically in it's box and have done so for years!

Eric Woodbury

Probably because it has a cheap particle board support. Add a couple of lengthwise stiffeners to it so it won't ever sag and store it anywhere you want.

[A mechanical engineer should check this, but stiffness increases by approximately the cube of the thickness in the direction of force.]

Drew Wiley

More likely MDF, not cheap particle board. Not many mfg use old style junk particle board anymore except Ikea; fortunately, they don't make mat cutters. But if you need a "collapsible" cabinet to set your cutter on, now you know where to look.

Fist off, thanks to everyone for the reply's, lots of interesting life experiences.

I have used the Dexter mat cutter and I became proficient with its use(still have it). Others have already stated about the blade choice and availability. I gave up using it when my arthritis interfered with my grip on the mat cutter.

In the mid to late 70's I bought the Alto's "EZ Mat System" and struggled to make acceptable cuts. Learned my lesson on that one.

The logan mat cutter I now have is easy to use, makes straight cuts and I have become proficient at using it. It will most likely be my last mat cutter.

So after long talks with myself and my wife I will now store the mat cutter in the original box on the floor. I am currently rearranging some things to make room and to keep it out of the way.

Again Thanks to everyone for the reply's it's always nice to read others personal experiences.

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown