Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me identify this 8x20

Help me identify this 8x20

Well, went looking for a stand for the century 8x10 and found this little beauty. Bellows is brittle but appears light right. Has a really clean Series IV 12x15 that covers nicely. Front rise, rear swing and tilt. Owner thought it was a Folmer Schwing. I don’t have any holders but will probably start looking. Can anyone help me determine if it is in fact a Folmer Schwing? I could start at that ground glass for hours-it’s amazing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1DDC9906-9623-4F89-A9D1-DE12CA826F75.jpeg   A54FC997-54FE-4E54-986A-9C6F07858946.jpeg   DB6AAEF2-C0D0-474A-A046-26F69392A356.jpg  

Re: Help me identify this 8x20

You need to look at where the back receives the holders to determine if this is in fact a F&S

Does this view help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 498B66B3-DFA5-44CF-AE85-882715A90A3C.jpeg  

AFAIK Folmer never made an 8x20, and it doesn't have the characteristic Folmer front tilt mechanism. But the hardware doesn't quite look Korona either, though conceivably there was some variation in that over the many years the Korona 8x20 was offered.

Does anyone know of a camera maker of that era other than Korona who offered 8x20?

EDIT: that back view doesn't look Korona at all. I'm baffled. Here's the place to look if you want to spend time trying to match the design details against known wooden field cameras of that period:

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/

loujon

Pretty sure Conley made a couple 7x17/8x20 cameras for a decade or better but not as many around as the bigger concerns of this time. The hardware matches Conley wood view cameras hardware. Conley Cameras was better known for it's hand & stand cameras & was bought out by Sears & Roebuck in the very early 1900's and possibly made the panoramic cameras for S&R after the buyout.

Looking at the Conley camera catalog, interesting as the hardware dies match Conley cameras but I noticed something about the camera as I was looking at it earlier-the rack and pinion teeth are cut on a diagonal and in the Conley catalog, this feature is specifically called out for their view cameras. Thanks for the help everyone! Now to find what holders would possibly work. I also found a #2 embossed on the camera base and also the extension rail. Guessing that’s a serial # and used to match the rail with the camera like in my 2D.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
    I also found a #2 embossed on the camera base and also the extension rail. Guessing that’s a serial # and used to match the rail with the camera like in my 2D.
    This is not a "serial #" per say but rather a # used for the camera builders to know what ext rail was matched with each camera while they where being built in factory.

You did get the rear rail then? I hope so because otherwise that would be a tough find and would probably need to have Richard Ritter manufacture one. Heck it's hard enough to locate a Korona Panoramic rail and they sold way many more then Conley Cameras did.

No, I didn’t get the rear rail. I was referring to the to the front rail. As is, I have plenty of extension for the 12x15 and 14” Dagor I have. That should suit me for a while. Holders are the next quest.

The blessing and curse of 8x20 accessories is that though they are generally quite hard to find, they tend to be cheaper than 7x17 or 12x20 because the format is not that popular. It's definitely some Korona variation. Someone has done some work on the back. My first 8x20 was a Korona. Not a bad camera. Nice and light, but once you find a rear rail and want to use a standard focal length, the erector set factor becomes an issue. Ended up selling mine once I found an 8x20 reduction back for my 12x20 Canham.

If you do not have any holders you need to remove the ground glass part of the back and see if there is a groove in the camera back. If so,measure the distance from the other end of the back to the groove. This will help determine which holders will fit.