Thread: Scanning 8x20 Contact Prints

Scanning 8x20 Contact Prints

I am in the process of wanting to add my 8x20 work to my website and although I have been able to scan my 8x10 contact prints for inclusion (older Epson XL100000), scanning 8x20 contact prints is beyond my capability. As a result I am looking for options. Is there a place where I could send these contact prints to get them scanned for a fee? Mention has been made of potentially scanning each "side" per se and then doing some iteration such as stitching to put them together. Again, I am strictly an analog guy and purposefully turn off the computer and leave it off. Just trying to find the easiest way to the objective. Thanks in advance.

Re: Scanning 8x20 Contact Prints

Michael, rather than scan can you set up a copy stand and just use a digital camera?

Call me old school. I do not own a digital camera and have no interest in acquiring one. My cell covers my narrow range of image requirements in this arena.

What cell phone. Likely simple internet repro is possible even from a cell cam. Just setup good lights of course.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Can I attain close to the same resolution as with the Epson scanner with a cell so they are reasonably close to the same quality? iPhone 12 Pro

I doubt that! A high-res scan for actual repro is a different question. For a 1000-2000 pixel web image, I think no problem.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

OK. I will give it a go. Thanks!

If it's just for web/catalogue use, your iPhone shld be fine. If you have a bracket for the phone, I'd use that to ensure everything is square. If you don't mind editing and doing post processing, I'd suggest setting your phone to shoot hi efficiency (apple's raw kind of) and you can also set a grid for the previously mentioned squaring of the image.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...