Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please share your darkroom prints from B&W slides

Please share your darkroom prints from B&W slides

I am interested in making some black and white slides. However, I enjoy darkroom printing. I am sure some of you have already figured out how to address this problem. Please share your prints! Also, please let me know:

- if there is a simple way to darkroom print black and white slides or is it as complicated as making them
    - whether you observe an obvious improvement in quality compared to your prints of negatives

I Googled to find information on this, but I could not find a satisfactory answer.

Thank you in advance for sharing your work.

Re: Please share your darkroom prints from B&W slides

I have 40 yr old B&W 35mm slides from a direct-positive process we used in school that I've thought about enlarging onto Ilford/Harman direct-positive paper but I'm currently only contact printing 5x7 and lacking sufficient darkroom space/enlarger.
    From what I've read about folks shooting this paper in-camera, a pre-flash reduces its inherent contrasty nature. It's pretty slow, ISO 3-6, I'd imagine it'd print b&w slides nicely.
    There're a l few threads on here that have been running for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha DeCool View Post
    I have 40 yr old B&W 35mm slides from a direct-positive process we used in school that I've thought about enlarging onto Ilford/Harman direct-positive paper but I'm currently only contact printing 5x7 and lacking sufficient darkroom space/enlarger.
    From what I've read about folks shooting this paper in-camera, a pre-flash reduces its inherent contrasty nature. It's pretty slow, ISO 3-6, I'd imagine it'd print b&w slides nicely.
    There're a l few threads on here that have been running for awhile.
    Thank you for responding. I just looked up a thread and saw great images. I will link it. It looks like most people are using the paper directly instead of enlarging, but at least this gives you an idea of the results. A comment online lead me to believe there was not a simple way to enlarge slides in the darkroom.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...positive+paper

Generally, the reason people used to shoot b/w reversal was to make 35mm slides for projection. Now I suppose people scan b/w positives, but I don't know what (if any) the advantages of that might be. Enlarging b/w positives to make prints could be done, but it's certainly going the long way around. If you want b/w slides, it would be easier just to shoot negatives in the camera and then copy them in a slide-duplicating setup. We used to use Kodak's Fine Grain Release Positive 5302 film for that purpose- although that film must be long discontinued, there are likely films available in the cinema world meant to do the same thing. A good b/w transparency can be a lovely thing to see- best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Generally, the reason people used to shoot b/w reversal was to make 35mm slides for projection. Now I suppose people scan b/w positives, but I don't know what (if any) the advantages of that might be. Enlarging b/w positives to make prints could be done, but it's certainly going the long way around. If you want b/w slides, it would be easier just to shoot negatives in the camera and then copy them in a slide-duplicating setup. We used to use Kodak's Fine Grain Release Positive 5302 film for that purpose- although that film must be long discontinued, there are likely films available in the cinema world meant to do the same thing. A good b/w transparency can be a lovely thing to see- best of luck!
    We used Pan-X and a process that included re-exposing the film and then redeveloping in a paper developer. I have the formulas somewhere...
    I can highly recommend dr5, a lab now located in Iowa that does a proprietary direct-positive process for b&w chromes for any size film. I agree that most would be for scanning and then inkjet printing. There's a company in VT that sells inks for Epson printers that replace CMY with shades of gray from black to white.

I'm shooting 5x7 now so I can contact print without an enlarger, so my interest in printing direct to Harmon DPP has waned for now. For me the advantafe to b&w slides was in preserving the tonal range that gets lost when printing to paper.

I still have a 100' can of Pan-X in the freezer, maybe I'll dig up that formula someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Thanks, Mark. I am 3 years late - sorry. I must have been distracted by another thread at the time. I am revisiting this idea once again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha DeCool View Post
    We used Pan-X and a process that included re-exposing the film and then redeveloping in a paper developer. I have the formulas somewhere...
    I can highly recommend dr5, a lab now located in Iowa that does a proprietary direct-positive process for b&w chromes for any size film. I agree that most would be for scanning and then inkjet printing. There's a company in VT that sells inks for Epson printers that replace CMY with shades of gray from black to white.

I'm shooting 5x7 now so I can contact print without an enlarger, so my interest in printing direct to Harmon DPP has waned for now. For me the advantafe to b&w slides was in preserving the tonal range that gets lost when printing to paper.

I still have a 100' can of Pan-X in the freezer, maybe I'll dig up that formula someday.
    Hi Bertha. I am curious if you still have this Pan-X? Have you tried any lately? I have a35mm film projector now so I am revisiting this idea.

This is the setup I'm planning on using. I have not used it yet however.

Basically I will enlarge the 35mm slides onto 6x6cm rollfilm. There is not shutter in this camera, so I'll have to use the enlarger timer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide copy rolleiflex.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	244145

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This is the setup I'm planning on using. I have not used it yet however.

Basically I will enlarge the 35mm slides onto 6x6cm rollfilm. There is not shutter in this camera, so I'll have to use the enlarger timer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide copy rolleiflex.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	244145
    This looks interesting! Let us know how it goes.

You could try enlarging onto Harman Direct Positive paper. Not sure that the contract will look like, but it can be flashed.