Thread: Coverage for Turner-Reich 12/21/28 Convertible Lenses?

Coverage for Turner-Reich 12/21/28 Convertible Lenses?

What's the coverage (image circle) for Turner-Reich 12/21/29 f7, Series II lenses in the 12" focal length.

Also, how sharp are these lense?

I've looked through the archives, but not much on coverage.

Re: Coverage for Turner-Reich 12/21/28 Convertible Lenses?

Covers 8x10 with movement though I’ve never characterized how much. They are nice.. I am a little obsessed with them and have repaired a handful. They suffer from balsam separation due to how they were assembled.

I use the f/6.8 version on my whole plate camera. If you are on photrio, I’ve posted examples in the media section in the past. Here is an example I shot on Friday, using that lens and shot on a dry plate. Jpeg compression has trashed the heck out of it.. but in any case I like the results esp stopped down to about f/16 - f/22

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1CB5D59D-7F0A-4C0F-A2B3-3CA8F3C6DCB1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	206724
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

These lenses were hand assembled. Some are excellent, and others not so much depending on the assembler. I currently have 3, all of which are good, but in the past I have owned a few which were at best marginal in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    What's the coverage (image circle) for Turner-Reich 12/21/29 f7, Series II lenses in the 12" focal length.

Also, how sharp are these lense?

I've looked through the archives, but not much on coverage.
    My sense is that these will almost cover 11X14, and have plenty of room for movements on 8x10, but this is just my impression from casual observations. Sharp? My copy has plenty of sharpness when used correctly. What they lack is "modern contrast", which for what I do, is an asset, not a failure. Here are a couple of examples:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4882/4...1e1b1527_k.jpg

This one especially shows just how much resolution the Turner-Reich convertible can deliver on 8x10:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e666b3c_3k.jpg

I have a 12-21-28 Series II, No.5, f6.8. With the balsam problems on one of the cells (21") that were mentioned earlier.

I have used it in the 28" configuation with a yellow filter taped to the front on 8x10. I had heard that the single cell does not focus blue on the same plane as the rest of the colors, but does when both cells are used...so reducing blue light helps with sharpness. I'll have to get it on the 11x14 one of these days...the longest lens I have otherwise is a 24" Red Dot Artar.

I have used it in the 28" configuation on 5x7 to photograph the eclipse of the moon w/ no filter. The moons are quite sharp...multiple exposures about 10 minutes apart, until the cold damp mountain air of the Sierra foothills caused the shutter to remain open...should have taped a filter over the front of the shutter.

This was taken at 28" w/ yellow filter -- 8x10 neg rephotographed on a light table. But it is sharper than one can tell via a computer screen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yosemite Falls.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China