Thread: High ISO

High ISO

I'd like to see some images made with film pushed above 400 ISO! I'm thinking mostly B&W but of course if anyone pushes their colour film that high then that's welcome too

Re: High ISO

Throwing away shadow detail with under-exposure seems to run counter to the grain of most Large Format workflows.

I would love to see what can be accomplished with High ISO LF images.

I am much more likely to go the other direction because shadows are important to me. An EI (what you are calling ISO)of 25-50 is enough for me.
    By the way, the ISO can not be changed. It is established by the manufacturer. If you expose a film at a different ISO you have not changed that, you have just over or under-exposed the film.

Very old image and not a great scan but this was on the street in very dim conditions, on Tri-X 320 pushed to about 2500 in Acufine, shot handheld with a Speed Graphic and Kodak Aero-Ektar:

I should find this negative and scan it again. Probably could get better than it looks here as I was getting used to a new scanner at the time.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have done some HP5 at EI 800 and EI 1600 with my 8x10 because I worked on a very low light project with some wild horses. I will see if I can find some of the prints and share them here, but I can tell you I was very happy with the contact prints. The key was to find the true film speed and then find the proper development times. Of course the shadow details will suffer, but that can be acceptable in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by unityofsaints View Post
    I'd like to see some images made with film pushed above 400 ISO! I'm thinking mostly B&W but of course if anyone pushes their colour film that high then that's welcome too

I took this shot at my workplace of a colleague about to knock down a rivet head on a boiler. It is shot on Ilford HP5 pushed to 1600 with MPP Micro Technical Mk VI and Wray 89mm f6.3 at maximum aperture, I tray developed the film in ID-11 at the recommended time.
    Riveting by Alasdair Matthews, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Very old image and not a great scan but this was on the street in very dim conditions, on Tri-X 320 pushed to about 2500 in Acufine, shot handheld with a Speed Graphic and Kodak Aero-Ektar:

I should find this negative and scan it again. Probably could get better than it looks here as I was getting used to a new scanner at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerBasher View Post
    I took this shot at my workplace of a colleague about to knock down a rivet head on a boiler. It is shot on Ilford HP5 pushed to 1600 with MPP Micro Technical Mk VI and Wray 89mm f6.3 at maximum aperture, I tray developed the film in ID-11 at the recommended time.
    Riveting by Alasdair Matthews, on Flickr
    Both excellent images, thanks for sharing!