Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF TTL Metering Systems Inquiry- Experience with these?

LF TTL Metering Systems Inquiry- Experience with these?

LF TTL Metering Systems 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

LF TTL Metering Systems 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hi All,

I am renovating the storage space in my basement into a retro 1960s/1970s commercial studio.

I have some interest in getting these items up and running. On the right is a Broncolor FCM2 Meter hooked up to a Broncolor FCM Booster (TTL probe). I have the original instructions but they don't reference these two items together. I am looking for some information regarding using this as intended. I have Impact 21 and 41 Brocolor Monolights which work wireless with these and are about the same vintage. The Metering Cassette is Sinar Norma.

On the left is the Plaubel Peco Profia TTL Metering System as near as I can tell. I remember Arthur Kramer covering this in Modern Photography about mid 1970s. My Peco Profia catalog references 97309 Adapter For Measuring Light on Ground Glass PS1/440/2. I think that is what I have here? I bought a Lunasix Meter but it does not have the proper coupling to snap on to the TTL mechanism. Can anybody point me in the proper direction on this what I need to make this functional?

I have four Sinarsix Norma cassette units 4x5 5x7 and 8x10 which I use for ambient TTL light measurement with my Normas. Amazingly all four Sinarsixes still function correctly and are accurate
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 12-Aug-2020 at 05:12.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: LF TTL Metering Systems Inquiry- Experience with these?

My Broncolor Impact 21's and 41's are newer and have long served me well, I'm hoping the FCM2 Meter and the FCM Booster are compatible with those. I guess I'll run through the instructions and test everything to find out.

The Plaubel Light Measuring Adapter is a Gossen Lunapro Microscope Adapter, which I think fits the regular Gossen Luna Pro. So if I can find a good accurately reading Luna Pro I should be in business. I do have MR9 adapter and 368 cells so I think I will power it that way.

― Mark Twain

4x5 5x7 8x10 Normas by Nokton48, on Flickr

Third Norma Shutter came back repaired today. So you can see I have an original Sinarsix TTL on each of my three field Normas; the 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10

Exposure accuracy goes way up, when you use the Norma Sinarsix in ambient lighting conditions. The newer Broncolor FCM incident and FCM2 TTL work well in flash and/or ambient conditions.

― Mark Twain

Plaubel Peco Profia TTL Metering Setup by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a 1970s-vintage Plaubel Peco Profia TTL Metering Attachment, with the appropriate fully functioning Gossen Luna Pro. The meter is reliable and appears to be working perfectly.

This attachment goes onto a Plaubel Peco Profia Bag Bellows Viewer, which attaches behind the ground glass. To meter through the camera, you first press the black metal tube (on the right side in the photo) onto the ground glass, you can see the glass highly magnified, and select an area to be metered. The push all the way in the long silver rod on the unit, and activate the Luna Pro with it's rocker switch, to take and lock in a light reading.

Is anybody here familiar with this unit? I would like some help in getting accurate exposure readings with this unit.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Plaubel Peco Profia TTL Metering Setup by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a 1970s-vintage Plaubel Peco Profia TTL Metering Attachment, with the appropriate fully functioning Gossen Luna Pro. The meter is reliable and appears to be working perfectly.

This attachment goes onto a Plaubel Peco Profia Bag Bellows Viewer, which attaches behind the ground glass. To meter through the camera, you first press the black metal tube (on the right side in the photo) onto the ground glass, you can see the glass highly magnified, and select an area to be metered. The push all the way in the long silver rod on the unit, and activate the Luna Pro with it's rocker switch, to take and lock in a light reading.

Is anybody here familiar with this unit? I would like some help in getting accurate exposure readings with this unit.
    It basically operates exactly the same way as the bellows/metering focusing bellows on the back of a LInhof. Except it mechanically is more complex. The LInhof just used the Lunapro and the microscope adapter which plugs into the eyepiece of the focus/metering bellows. That let you move the metering spot to any quadrant of the gg to meter or by pulling the bellows all the way back you could average the entire scene on the gg.
    To meter through a gg you need the Fresnel lens and you have to determine the light loss of the gg/fresnel. You do this by placing a grey card in a scene, meter it hand held and then meter it through the gg. The difference is the light loss and you enter that on the meter as a filter factor. It won’t change with lenses but will change if you change the gg or the fresnel.
    If you can’t get a large enough grey card for metering at infinity use an evenly lit surface as a substitute. Otherwise you would also be fighting bellows extension.

That makes perfect sense. Thank You Bob!

― Mark Twain

SINARSIX001.pdfI don't know if this helps, it is from the Sinar System Handbook, 1977.

Thanks for that Pieter!

That is a more modern Sinarsix manual and it has a few tidbits not in the Norma Sinarsix manual.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    To meter through a gg you need the Fresnel lens and you have to determine the light loss of the gg/fresnel. You do this by placing a grey card in a scene, meter it hand held and then meter it through the gg. The difference is the light loss and you enter that on the meter as a filter factor. It won’t change with lenses but will change if you change the gg or the fresnel.
    If you can’t get a large enough grey card for metering at infinity use an evenly lit surface as a substitute. Otherwise you would also be fighting bellows extension.
    Bob, this sounds like a good system, but wouldn't we have to calibrate each lens separately, at least for the maximum aperture?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan O'Farrell View Post
    Bob, this sounds like a good system, but wouldn't we have to calibrate each lens separately, at least for the maximum aperture?
    No, since you are reading ttl, off the gg/fresnel, you only have to worry about light loss from your specific gg/fresnel. So you would only have to recalibrate when you change the gg, the fresnel or both.
    If you are a heavy smoker around the camera you might have to do some cleaning or readjusting for deposits on the gg/fresnel or cover glass. But that is seldom a problem today.