Thread: Anything special I need to know to open the back shutter on Anniversary SG 45?

Anything special I need to know to open the back shutter on Anniversary SG 45?

So I just got an Anniversary SG 45. The shutter runs fine at high tension (probably needs adjusted, I haven't put film through it) but at low tension (just on "1" and "2") it doesn't want to fire on the slowest speeds and I have to manually put pressure on the winder knob. Obviously I need to clean it and apply a tiny bit of lube--probably just a drop of sewing machine oil. I've done the same to a Pacemaker SG 45-- is it much different? I see that you have to loosen a set screw and remove the winder knob as there is no slit in the plate to allow it to pass through when removing the plate. And the plate for the mainspring and the tension knob is separate, unlike on Pacemaker. I have to remove all tension from the spring before I remove the plate, right?

What about the access ports on the opposite side of the camera-- nothing unusual I need to do before unscrewing those, is there?

Any other advice?

Arca-Swiss

Re: Anything special I need to know to open the back shutter on Anniversary SG 45?

photobooksonline.com has the repair manual for the anniversary speed Graphic.

#8247 - Graflex 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic Service Manual Photocopy. Fully illustrated. Service instructions and parts list. 21 pages, $13.00

Hope this helps.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Re: Anything special I need to know to open the back shutter on Anniversary SG 45?

Personally, I wouldn't even mess with it unless you plan to do exposures all the time at 1 or 2. That shutter is a little more complex that one things it is and at the end you might have a problem putting it back together correctly again. If you want to shoot slow and in such low light to have that long of an exposure, you can use the Jim Galli method at wide open where you don't even need a shutter.

I haven't seen this manual, but Mike Butkus is a great source for such information. His request for $3 for a download is one of the few such bargains left. One tip: before dissembling a Graphic shutter, mark the top and bottom of the shutter through the back to save the trouble of reassembling over and over until getting it right like I did the first time.

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/grafle...phic_focal.htm