Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Tripod recommendation for a Wista 4x5 field with 300mm lens

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    2

    Tripod recommendation for a Wista 4x5 field with 300mm lens

    I have a new 300mm lens for my Wista 4x5 field camera. It is a heavy lens and requires full extension of the bellows (12") and a lens extender (~2.5"). This set up does not function with my one screw stabilized Slik, or with the Manfrotto head just tried out in a store. The front weight of the lens/bellows causes a slow slide of the lens towards the ground. Total weight of the camera/lens is 10 lb., with most of it coming from the lens.

    This camera has 2 screw threadings for mounting, placed front to back, 3.5mm apart from each other. Are there tripod heads that allow screws in both locations at once for added stability?

  2. #2
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,546

    Re: Tripod recommendation for a Wista 4x5 field with 300mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by djkaplan View Post
    This camera has 2 screw threadings for mounting, placed front to back, 3.5mm apart from each other. Are there tripod heads that allow screws in both locations at once for added stability?
    Not tripod heads, but a quick-release plate long enough to cover the space between the holes, with two screws attached to the plate, will work.
    You mount this plate to a clamp which is in turn attached to a head or to the tripod.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,413

    Re: Tripod recommendation for a Wista 4x5 field with 300mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Not tripod heads, but a quick-release plate long enough to cover the space between the holes, with two screws attached to the plate, will work.
    You mount this plate to a clamp which is in turn attached to a head or to the tripod.
    Like this;

    https://novoflexus.com/quick-release...eatured&page=2

    They make longer ones also.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    2

    Re: Tripod recommendation for a Wista 4x5 field with 300mm lens

    Ah, got it. Thanks, Bob.

    Any recommendations on a pan-tilt head to go with it? For field work.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,413

    Re: Tripod recommendation for a Wista 4x5 field with 300mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by djkaplan View Post
    Ah, got it. Thanks, Bob.

    Any recommendations on a pan-tilt head to go with it? For field work.
    Any good 2-way head should work. One with tension control on the tilt axis would be helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Transporting Wista Field with lens
    By MartinHSchei in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5-Jan-2007, 14:19
  2. 300mm lens OK on a Wista DX ??
    By jesskramer in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2004, 07:19
  3. Long and Close Up lens recommendation for Field Camera
    By Bill Brady in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2000, 08:00

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •