Thread: Advice for mounting a Copal 3 on Kodak 2D board

Advice for mounting a Copal 3 on Kodak 2D board

I am about to mount a “modern” lens on a 2D board. The used lens I have is currently in a metal 90mm board. Ideally I would drill a 2 1/2 inch hole in the 2D board and enlarge it with a file and sanding.
    Do I need to recess the hole to get the shutter to seat the lens? Or will the locking flange work on the full thickness 2D board?
    Would I be better served leaving the lens mounted and build an adapted board to accept the metal board?
    What are those sliding clamps called that hold a board to the camera, and where could I source them?

Thanks in advance. This forum is very informative and incredibly generous in its sharing.

Brent

Re: Advice for mounting a Copal 3 on Kodak 2D board

I just drill 4 holes and bolt the mess together

or buy a very affordable new board from Zimba on eBay that fits

Look for him under lens boards
    Tin Can

Thanks I have made an inquiry
    Brent

zimba1 also sells the 'sliding clamps' that you referenced.

Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    I am about to mount a “modern” lens on a 2D board. The used lens I have is currently in a metal 90mm board. Ideally I would drill a 2 1/2 inch hole in the 2D board and enlarge it with a file and sanding.
    Do I need to recess the hole to get the shutter to seat the lens? Or will the locking flange work on the full thickness 2D board?
    Would I be better served leaving the lens mounted and build an adapted board to accept the metal board?
    What are those sliding clamps called that hold a board to the camera, and where could I source them?

Thanks in advance. This forum is very informative and incredibly generous in its sharing.

Brent

I usually cut a recess in the back of the board so the lock ring can fully engage the threads on the back of the shutter. Some shutters don't have enough threads to clear the thickness of the 2D boards, but you won't know for sure until you measure.
    A router or dremel tool makes this a fairly quick job, or a sharp chisel and a steady hand can work also.
    There's also a seller on eBay, zbima1, who will custom-cut 2D lens boards with any size hole and an option for a cutout. He does an excellent job and turnaround is very quick.
    I've never liked the look of adapted lens boards and like to keep the look as clean as possible.

At this point I have at least a dozen of Zbima1's boards - for Kodak No. 2, 33A, Korona 4x5 & 7x17 the quality & appearance are great. Copal No. 3 shutters have that brass arc-screw at the back that has been removed half the time - it prevents the whole shebang from shifting/rotating in the board as you mount/use it - a useful feature. Zbima's wood boards are easily drilled for an appropriately located & sized hole. I did a metal board once - took forever & I had to debur with files - aluminum shavings & filings everywhere when I was done. Old way is best way for this one.--alfredian