Quote Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate my darkroom situation, maybe? I've seen plenty of folks use cheap red LED strips in darkrooms and I've used them as well, but this is my first time with wet plate and those lights. Could that be an issue?
I actually have been shooting in a test series as you mentioned. Shot from 1 second to 10 seconds in bright daylight and in artificial light. All to no avail.
I reached out to B&S earlier today. Any thoughts on the pH test? Their instructions indicate that the color should change to be a pH of 3-5. I tried 3 strips and got no results. They just stayed the same colors.
The pH strips could be old and no longer active. If they were shipped loose and not in a sealed container that's my guess. Most likely problem is your safe life isn't, or you have a light leak somewhere, or you're not using the camera properly. Try this: put the shutter on timed setting so you KNOW it's open. Insert holder, cover lens with your hand. Pull darkslide and remove hand. For bright daylight I suggest f4 and 2s. Replace your hand to block lens, replace dark slide.
When pouring developer I suggest having plate in a small tray for first attempts. Pour developer into tray but not directly on plate. Tray at angle so developer runs over plate. Should see an image start in 5s or so. Chemicals are likely not the problem.

Kent in SD