Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

  1. #21
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Nicely done.
    Thanks, Monty.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Providence, RI, USA
    Posts
    170

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    Here's a shot of the street in front of my house I captured a few days ago. Probably my best plate so far, as far as the technical aspects go, though the composition isn't my favorite.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wet plate004.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	207278

  3. #23
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    Nice, Ethan. I think the composition and resulting image are very good.
    I've found that the minor plate/developer flaws will iron out over time as you get more efficient at this.
    It really forces you to pay attention to every step of the process.

  4. #24
    Foamer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    I went out Saturday looking for some country churches I missed, but they were all facing east and it was already afternoon. I settled on an abandoned grain elevator but kept overexposing. By the time I figured that out the clouds were rolling in and it was getting dark. I went out again today. Big change! Yesterday it was 95 and I kept my chemicals on ice, today it was 58 and I was worried about them getting too cold. It was raining in most of the state so I went south to an area it wasn't. The wind was blowing pretty hard (~25mph) and that caused problems. I took a few shots with the 2D 8x10 and my Darlot wide angle Hemispherique. The first two shots were overexposed and this time I wised up and shot with shorter exposure. I started with 30s and ended up shooting 8s.

    Progress with 8x10 is slow. I do OK with pouring the plate but pouring on the developer is harder. I am getting better and not leaving islands now. Still, I'm not where I want to be yet. My usual workflow is to pour the plate inside my car over the folded down back seat (over big square of cardboard,) then walk to the back of the car where my hatchback is open and my dark box is with the sliver tank. Usually this works fine but today the strong wind had kicked up a lot of dust and it landed on my freshly poured plate. I'll have to remember to only work inside the dark box when it's windy. I keep getting close but still only sometimes make an image I'm really happy with.


    Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails faithUnited810.jpg  
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
    miserere nobis.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Providence, RI, USA
    Posts
    170

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I went out Saturday looking for some country churches I missed, but they were all facing east and it was already afternoon. I settled on an abandoned grain elevator but kept overexposing. By the time I figured that out the clouds were rolling in and it was getting dark. I went out again today. Big change! Yesterday it was 95 and I kept my chemicals on ice, today it was 58 and I was worried about them getting too cold. It was raining in most of the state so I went south to an area it wasn't. The wind was blowing pretty hard (~25mph) and that caused problems. I took a few shots with the 2D 8x10 and my Darlot wide angle Hemispherique. The first two shots were overexposed and this time I wised up and shot with shorter exposure. I started with 30s and ended up shooting 8s.

    Progress with 8x10 is slow. I do OK with pouring the plate but pouring on the developer is harder. I am getting better and not leaving islands now. Still, I'm not where I want to be yet. My usual workflow is to pour the plate inside my car over the folded down back seat (over big square of cardboard,) then walk to the back of the car where my hatchback is open and my dark box is with the sliver tank. Usually this works fine but today the strong wind had kicked up a lot of dust and it landed on my freshly poured plate. I'll have to remember to only work inside the dark box when it's windy. I keep getting close but still only sometimes make an image I'm really happy with.


    Kent in SD
    what developer are you using? my developer has a very low viscosity and never has any issues covering the whole plate.

  6. #26
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    what developer are you using? my developer has a very low viscosity and never has any issues covering the whole plate.
    What developer are you using, Ethan?

  7. #27
    Foamer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    I use the B&S iron developer but dilute it a bit in hot weather.


    Kent in SD
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
    miserere nobis.

  8. #28

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I use the B&S iron developer but dilute it a bit in hot weather.


    Kent in SD
    Add more ethanol to improve surfactant qualities.

  9. #29
    Mark Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...
    Posts
    5,844

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    Wet plate takes a while to master, more so than film because there's more of a hand-made aspect to it. Some problems can be corrected with specific advice, but a lot of it is improving both technique and consistency. I thing the silver baths take a while to break in properly too. People improve over time without ever figuring out exactly what they did to improve.

    Plates that are twice as big are twice as hard. At first.

    Working in the field is also twice as hard. At first.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Providence, RI, USA
    Posts
    170

    Re: Wet Plate image sharing, August 2020

    I'm using a mixture of ferrous sulfate, acetic acid, and grain alcohol, in distilled water. I think its 100ml water, to 4g ferrous sulfate, 4ml grain alcohol, and 6ml acetic acid.

Similar Threads

  1. Post your 8"x20" images in honor of August 2020 aka 8/20
    By George Losse in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2020, 16:48
  2. Wet plate image sharing July 2020
    By alex from holland in forum Wet Plate
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 3-Aug-2020, 19:31
  3. Wet Plate Image Sharing, June 2020
    By paulbarden in forum Wet Plate
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2020, 18:58
  4. New sub-forum for image sharing
    By Ralph Barker in forum News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2009, 10:16
  5. New forum : Image Sharing and Discussion
    By gevalia in forum On Photography
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2009, 11:51

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •