Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long life opened liquid paper developer

Re: Long life opened liquid paper developer

a year+ later, I have now tried this

About 1 oz (30ml) HC110 syrup per quart (1 litre) + 1 tbs (15g) washing soda and you'll think
    you have Dektol.

and thought it worked just fine. Tray life was good enough for printing sessions on consecutive days. Dev. times were pretty normal for me. 2 min for Ilford MG FB.

Another thing for mixing packaged developers is to mix in a small amount (1 gram) of sodium sulfite before mixing in developer contents to scavenge oxygen from solution which will age solution upon mixing...

Steve K

Eric Woodbury

Ds-14
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

multiplex

I have used ansco 130 (or something that is similar) as a film and paper developer for years
    it will last for over a year as a stock solution. used for film, like its cousin ansco 125, it offers up. "crisp" negatives
    as described by the PLI... 1:10 10 mins ( 1:x for x mins ) about 70 degrees F (glycin likes warm)
    in open trays shuffled, or in small tanks normal agitation, your methods or processing might require a few tests..
    good luck finding a developer that works for you!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Moersch 4812 paper developer is great stuff - amazing shelf life...both of the concentrate after opened and of working dilutions, long open tray life also (even in very large trays), high capacity, amazing D-Max, neutral to slightly warmish tonalities (depending on paper) and as a true bonus - while it lives long...it dies fast, allowing for great print to print consistency until it quickly (and quite visibly) goes down. A bit pricy initially, but don't be deterred by this, as its large capacity and long keeping qualities equate with extreme cost-effectiveness.
    +1. Can’t tell which paper developers I tried in 30+ years, but with Moersch eco 4812 the blacks are deeper than from any other. And it works very nice with warmtone papers because it doesn’t exaggerate ever, which is a true risk with warmtone, to my taste.

...not to mention the stunning qualities possible with warm tone paper when souped in Moersch SE-6 (cold tone developer). Thing is, I'm having a bit of difficulty finding shelf-life info for SE-6 - so if anyone could chime in with this info...that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by stefn View Post
    If you're not married to tank processing, have you considered buying raw chemicals & just mixing up D76 as needed. Works well as a one-shot paper developer (by inspection in a darkened bathroom).

Alternatively, go the marbles/protectcan route in glass bottles for any remaining concentrate of your choice.
    If doing this, why not d-72 which is a paper developer?

What jnantz said.

+1 on Ansco 130 (or the photographers formulary kit). I store and use about 2 liters stock in a gallon bottle over 12-24 months. Could probably go longer if I put it in smaller bottles. I also have a batch from 2018 that is still working but its dark, but doesn't seem to stain the paper. I mix old with new to temper it a bit when using warm tone paper , its just a tad warmer and less green. For use with Film, I tried John's method with HP5+ and got more contrast than I usually do with Pyrocat M, but it works beautifully, just need to find the dilution and time for my working method.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Figured I'd chime in real quick. I mixed up some Dektol stock solution, separated it all into completely full, to the top, 16 oz plastic bottles, and then didn't do any wet printing for 15 years. A couple years ago I decided to give it a try - the Dektol performed nicely.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg