Thread: Using a Food Dehydrator to dry Plat/Pall coated paper?

Using a Food Dehydrator to dry Plat/Pall coated paper?

Just ordered a "factory reconditioned" Excalibur Food Dryer. Unit has 9 15" x 15" drying screens/racks, Adjustable thermostat 105 to 165 degrees, and a 7" fan. Am planning on using it to dry coated alternative process papers. I'm sure I will have to construct some kind of plenum to exit the air from the dehydrator to a 6" round duct to the outside of my house, no big deal. Presently I have an 11" x 11" darkroom exit fan in the wall behind where I coat my papers, but I have found it to be rather inefficient for exiting the air over several coated sheets of paper. Tried adding on an in-duct 6" fan, but its fan was less powerful than the fan inside the darkroom exit fan. Has anyone else used a Food Dryer to dry coated papers?
    Thanks

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Using a Food Dehydrator to dry Plat/Pall coated paper?

Never even thought of that but what a great idea!

Id be careful to use the lowest heat as many of the alt processes are sensitive to heat and may fog.

And you may have to rehumidify the paper before use.

The Excalibur Food Dehydrator arrived a few days ago. 9 slide out trays with 14"x14" plastic screens. Timer goes from 2 to 26 hours. No heat or heater starts at 105 degrees. Fan is nice and slow/gentle. Air comes in from the "rear" of the unit, over the screens, and out the "front". Put the dryer on a shelf to the side of my Darkroom in-wall exhaust fan. (Initially used an in-duct booster fan, but it's movement of air is more likely to be measured in cubic inches per minute rather than cubic feet per minute. In retrospect should have adapted a bathroom exhaust fan for half the cost of the "specialized" darkroom exhaust fan.) Fabricated a plenum that goes between the wall fan and the dryer. In a quick test with the dryer fan on and my wall fan on high, using a stick of incense burning on the rear side of the unit where that air is pulled into the unit and a flashlight, the rigged up system looks to be 99% effective, in that all the smoke from the incense was exited out to the outside. Looks be a safe way to dry Ziatype and Platinum/Palladium coatings. Also for small runs of conventional FB paper will greatly decrease the drying times verses using my under the sink fiberglass screens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg