Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Epson V800-Kami or substitute for wet mounting

Re: Epson V800-Kami or substitute for wet mounting

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The OP is scanning 5x7. There are no holders for that size. So he has to scan on the glass platen and/or use a wet mount holder and use the second V850 lens. It is not as sharp nor does it allow as high a resolution as the regular lens used with film holder scanning for 35mm, medium format and 4x5. I don't know what effect that would have on any of the advice that he's getting here. But 5x7 gives him less options.
    The BetterScanning frame/holder has, according to the website, a useable scanning area of 225 mm x 145 mm (8.85" x 5.71") that can be used with the high resolution lens.
    So you should be able to work out a solution for 5x7 and the better resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The OP is scanning 5x7. There are no holders for that size. So he has to scan on the glass platen and/or use a wet mount holder and use the second V850 lens. It is not as sharp nor does it allow as high a resolution as the regular lens used with film holder scanning for 35mm, medium format and 4x5. I don't know what effect that would have on any of the advice that he's getting here. But 5x7 gives him less options.
    I thought the hi res lens has a max width of 5.9”, so you can scan with the wet mount frame a 5x7” at the max res. It’s only when you go to 8x10” that you’re confined to directly on the glass and the lower res (which is only 15% lower).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I thought the hi res lens has a max width of 5.9”, so you can scan with the wet mount frame a 5x7” at the max res. It’s only when you go to 8x10” that you’re confined to directly on the glass and the lower res (which is only 15% lower).
    I didn't know that. Thanks for correcting me.

I would use Kami scanning fluid (has an anti-static in it)and Aztek mylar. And also their Kami tape (talk about being expensive) and drum cleaner (should be safe on film as a cleaner (?). And also has an anti-static in it. Its been awhile since I used it last time). All quality products. If used (and re-used (mylar and tape)) mindfully they will last forever (TBs of scanned material).
    Never seen an Epson but the below works well with other flatbeds.
    Wet mount directly on the base glass.
    Get a good heavy rubber roller (from an older drum mounting station).
    Use canned gas from Costco to de-dust both the glass and film.
    Put a few drops of Kami on the glass. Lay the film over. Put a few drops of Kami on top of film at one side along the edge of film (let's say left side as you look at the film). Gently cover with mylar. Tape the left edge of mylar to the glass with kami tape. Use the roller to roll over mylar from left to right applying some light pressure. Gently wipe excess of kami from the glass. Secure the right edge of mylar to the glass with kami tape. Tape top and bottom edges of mylar to the galss. Ensure there are not leaks in the corners. Using scanner wipes with a few drops of film cleaner , gently push away air bubbles, if any to the side of film. Don not apply to much pressure as that will scratch the mylar. With practice there will be no bubbles. Wipe the top of mylar with a fresh scanner wipe and a few drops of film cleaner. If your film has processing holes, try to cut them off or use pliers to make the edges absolutely flat. Any "non"flatness will keep air bubbles that are hard to impossible to push away from film.
    Don't worry about newton rings. An an example, Acrylic drums don't have ANR surfaces and there are newer any rings.

Mylar from an art store might be cheaper but think about the dust it will deliver to your scans and no, you wont be able to get rid of it completely before scanning

Scanning 5x7 BW film, I've had good success at very low cost and minimal mess, using the Epson fluid mount accessory for the V850, mylar from a local art supply store, a 4" hard artist roller from the same source, and 99% Isopropyl alcohol in place of Kami fluid, which can't be shipped here. Good quality artist mylaw is very clear and in books between protective sheets, so it's clean and not scratched.

The 99% alcohol evaporates cleanly without residue. 70% Isopropyl has too much water to work. No problems you work fast enough to avoid the alcohol evaporating before the artist mylar top cover is placed on top. No evident damage to the plastic on the Epson fluid mount accessory.
    Last edited by Joseph Kashi; 27-Sep-2020 at 22:48.