Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson V800-Kami or substitute for wet mounting

Drew Wiley

Re: Epson V800-Kami or substitute for wet mounting

Mineral spirits is an awfully generic term, whether in paint store or art store terminology. Unless you've done specific advance testing, or know what is actually in it, and how pure that is, you're taking a risk. Often products are made or blended in big batch containers that get used for other things too, and contain residue contaminants. Many off-the-shelf solvents contain a fair amount of water. I do know solvents, and I do know film, and fluid mounting isn't unique to scanning. You'd want to see if something really does fully evaporate, how quickly, and if there truly is no residue. In the case of old fragile emulsions, as in photo restoration projects, just the expansion-contraction effect of wetting and sudden drying might cause a degree of emulsion frilling. I don't believe in generic answers because people on this forum work with a lot of different kinds and ages of film and paper. Better safe than sorry.

Don't mean to hijack this, but is there really a difference with a V800/850 between wet mounting with the epson adapter and just using the same adaptor and an AN glass on top of the film (ie. sandwiching the film between the epson adapter and the AN glass, but "dry") ? Has someone done a direct comparison between the two in the past?

I have scanned 5 x 7 negaties directily on the bed of the scanner with AN glass to hold it down. Results-okay. I didn't notice any newtown rights.

What is appealing about wet scanning to me, is the I have been told it reduces the tiny scrathes you can see on the negative. Also improves sharpness according to some, including the Aztek folks.

SM

It also tends to alter the rendition of grain for the better.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've wet mounted with high quality mineral spirits (local alternative to Gamosol). In a BetterScanning frame.
    Has worked very well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Smorton View Post
    I have scanned 5 x 7 negaties directily on the bed of the scanner with AN glass to hold it down. Results-okay. I didn't notice any newtown rights.

What is appealing about wet scanning to me, is the I have been told it reduces the tiny scrathes you can see on the negative. Also improves sharpness according to some, including the Aztek folks.

SM
    Yes, since refractive indexes of film, glass and fluid is much closer than to air there is fewer film-air transition, meaning that scratches and the like more or less disappear.
    And I agree with Peter that grain rendition is altered.
    When it comes to improved sharpness I think my jury is still out. In any case I think the difference is perhaps negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    Yes, since refractive indexes of film, glass and fluid is much closer than to air there is fewer film-air transition, meaning that scratches and the like more or less disappear.
    And I agree with Peter that grain rendition is altered.
    When it comes to improved sharpness I think my jury is still out. In any case I think the difference is perhaps negligible.
    Thank you! What about color fidelity, have you observed any meaningful difference for CN or slides?

You get a bit more contrast and saturation with wet-mounting.

I want to be clear, though, that I'm not saying one has to wet-mount to get terrific results. Wet-mounting has a number of downsides. I did it for years, but currently I no longer do. With my BW scans, which are 99% of what I do, the difference on my machine is just not enough to justify the hassles.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Thank you! What about color fidelity, have you observed any meaningful difference for CN or slides?
    Sorry, but I do very little CN and slides are in roll film format, and scanned in another scanner, so I have little experience apart from b/w.

And to expand on Peters last post. The main reason for me to wet mount is to achieve flatness of focus. Together with the better scanning mount (to adjust focus height) the difference is noticeable in more even and better focus.
    The rest, improved scratches, contrast and so on, are benefits, but probably not worth it on their own.

And there are other ways to achieve flatness, AN glass, or the virtual drum of the Hasselblad/Imacon scanners as examples

The OP is scanning 5x7. There are no holders for that size. So he has to scan on the glass platen and/or use a wet mount holder and use the second V850 lens. It is not as sharp nor does it allow as high a resolution as the regular lens used with film holder scanning for 35mm, medium format and 4x5. I don't know what effect that would have on any of the advice that he's getting here. But 5x7 gives him less options.