Thread: Linhof Kardan Master TL/GTL - can parts be interchanged?

Linhof Kardan Master TL/GTL - can parts be interchanged?

I recently purchased a Linhof Kardan Master TL with 5x7 back which uses the rear standard from a GTL, but without the front/back tilt controls on the base that are used to remove yaw when the monorail is inclined. I thought I was buying a GTL because that is what was printed on the L-bracket of the rear standard, but after comparing the camera to photos of a GTL, I realized that what I had was a TL front standard and monorail combined with a GTL rear standard. Since neither standard has yaw control, would I be correct to assume that this camera will function as a TL? Or are there other differences between the TL and GTL models that will impact my ability to use the camera as a TL? Thanks in advance.

Re: Linhof Kardan Master TL/GTL - can parts be interchanged?

There are other differences but that should not effect how you use the camera. The biggest difference is that the back of the GTL/Master GTL had continuously variable assymetric movement plus the center tilts of the TL.

Thanks so much, Bob. And if I can ask a follow up question: I've measured the distance between the frame that holds the lens board and the frame that holds the ground glass at each corner, and the two planes are not perfectly parallel at the zero detents. The maximum deviation is about 1.5mm. Focusing on a test target from a distance of 7 feet at 5.6, there doesn't seem to be any practical problem with this as all 4 corners and center look sharp when examined with a 7x loupe on the ground glass. Is there any way to reset or calibrate the zero detents -- or is this something I just shouldn't worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by cgrey2 View Post
    Thanks so much, Bob. And if I can ask a follow up question: I've measured the distance between the frame that holds the lens board and the frame that holds the ground glass at each corner, and the two planes are not perfectly parallel at the zero detents. The maximum deviation is about 1.5mm. Focusing on a test target from a distance of 7 feet at 5.6, there doesn't seem to be any practical problem with this as all 4 corners and center look sharp when examined with a 7x loupe on the ground glass. Is there any way to reset or calibrate the zero detents -- or is this something I just shouldn't worry about?
    Sorry, you would have to ask one of the service centers how to adjust it.

Ok. Thanks again for your replies.