Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filthy Flange - possibilities.

Filthy Flange - possibilities.

I received parts of an 1850s lens today (for spares). The flange does fit some of my other lenses as I'd hoped it would. However it was quite literally black. It was covered with a hard layer of something which was sufficiently well stuck to it that at first I thought that it might be some sort of weird crinkle finish paint. I started cleaning it and discovered that it would come off with elbow grease and hot soapy water although slowly. Eventually it struck me that the coating was black from silver and what I was removing was a ~150 year old encrustation of silver salts from when the lens was used on a wet plate camera! This now explains the finish on this and other lenses, as, when its cleaned, the brass is left with a dull brown colour and missing most of its lacquer, except in the grooves where the encrustation had sealed it in.

Re: Filthy Flange - possibilities.

Probably not silver... On old brass, there can a variety of oxide layers that interact into strange forms...

I cleaned old brass that went dark black, and the layers that came off had strange shades... Including a layer with many old fingerprints from long dead users...

Steve K

Indeed, brass will eventually have a black patina that looks almost like anodized or lacquered finish. look at an old brass cartridge that has laid outside for a few decades. If it's dry, they turn very black. At sea, a brass bell can turn black in a few weeks, on a ship.

Its cleaning up well - halfway!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flange half cleaned.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	206361

Make Nachos! Save the juice from the Jalapeno rings and put that flange in the jar. I should be gleaming by the time the nachos are gone
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

count your blessings that you won the biddiig.

And FWIW, I have 4 lens housings which are from the same base lens, and three flanges (+ 3 complete lens sections). Despite this two of the flanges fit three of them but the other is just too tight and fits only one. An illustration I suppose of 1850/60s lenses being hand made and tolerances sometimes going slightly astray. The latest housing (missiong the lens itself) proved cheaper with the flange than having a new flange made. Well worth buying!

Guess most of us have a pile of not fitting mounting rings and some lenses which lack matching mounting rings since the ones we have collected don't fit precisely or not at all.
    Perhaps a good idea to start a thread where each of us can present all his/her spare mounting rings which precise (as possible) description - so we can have an exchange.
    Seems way better than each time buying a pile on *bay hoping to catch a good one but in the end doesn't fit :-)

My Flickr

Sounds like a great idea - but might need moderator's approval. I've measured the spare flanges that I have and I think that the first thing required would be a 'how to measure and how to describe flange sizes and threads' post. Moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Sounds like a great idea - but might need moderator's approval. I've measured the spare flanges that I have and I think that the first thing required would be a 'how to measure and how to describe flange sizes and threads' post. Moderators?
    Yes agree fully with respect to moderators approval. And yes we should try to agree on measurement (I have mine measured with calipers in mm and inch)

Can we post this question more directly to moderators?

My Flickr