Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
Invest a few dollars on the Rodenstock pocket Scheimpflug/depth of field calculator and it will all become crystal clear. Fits a shirt pocket, no batteries and will also give you exposure corrections and the proper focus point between near and far points.
Or as I was taught when I started with LF a year or so ago, focus on the farthest object you want in focus, note the position of the standard on the rail, do the same with the nearest object. The difference between the two (in mm) when multiplied by 5 gives you the closest aperture to ensure sharpness between both points. (this is the same btw if you're using tilt or swing). A 3mm difference gives f16, a 7mm one f42, and so on. I did go out and buy the Rodenstock pocket calculator a month ago, and it ends up being pretty close to the "5x the offset in mm for minimum f stop" rule.

More or less.

Always a good idea to stop down and check on the GG just to make sure if it's a critical shot. Considering how much work to carry, set up, dial in and take the shot, not to mention the current cost of film and processing, I think every shot is critical!