Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I look for with the Omega Chromega D 4x5 Color Enlarger? Is it any good?

Re: What should I look for with the Omega Chromega D 4x5 Color Enlarger? Is it any g

So I bought the enlarger. I got it for practically nothing so if it turns out to be a hunk of junk it will not be much of a waste of money. It is going to need some work to get it going. The first issue that exists is turning it on. It came with the power control unit called the Super Chromega Dichroic but it did not come with a timer. I don't even know what type of timer it needs. I am also going to have to buy lenses and negative carriers. I have to figure out if this thing is worth putting money into. The head came off the chassis and there seemed to be a lot of crusty adhesive atop of the bellows. I am hoping once I buy a timer it will work. So far the head lights up but I don't see how to get light to shine through it the from the lamp. It did not have any scratches. The only mixing box was for the 4x5 and it seems ok. The bellows look fine. Any suggestions would be awesome. I hope I did not make a mistake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200730_114723426.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	206415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200730_114740817.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	206416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200730_114904467.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	206417

Re: What should I look for with the Omega Chromega D 4x5 Color Enlarger? Is it any g

So you bought it for next to nothing and you’re bellyaching because you have to buy carriers and a timer? Did you order a manual as suggested in post #2? Anything you need for this enlarger can be bought used, or refurbished from KHB in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    So you bought it for next to nothing and you’re bellyaching because you have to buy carriers and a timer? Did you order a manual as suggested in post #2? Anything you need for this enlarger can be bought used, or refurbished from KHB in Canada.
    When I read Andy F's post I did not interpret it as "bellyaching"; just a statement of what is still required.

Buying bits and pieces for an enlarger can be expensive and the pieces will often add up to be greater (in cost) than the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    So I bought the enlarger. I got it for practically nothing so if it turns out to be a hunk of junk it will not be much of a waste of money. It is going to need some work to get it going. The first issue that exists is turning it on. It came with the power control unit called the Super Chromega Dichroic but it did not come with a timer. I don't even know what type of timer it needs. I am also going to have to buy lenses and negative carriers. I have to figure out if this thing is worth putting money into. The head came off the chassis and there seemed to be a lot of crusty adhesive atop of the bellows. I am hoping once I buy a timer it will work. So far the head lights up but I don't see how to get light to shine through it the from the lamp. It did not have any scratches. The only mixing box was for the 4x5 and it seems ok. The bellows look fine. Any suggestions would be awesome. I hope I did not make a mistake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200730_114723426.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	206415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200730_114740817.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	206416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200730_114904467.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	206417

The adhesive is from the light seal between the Dichroic head and the bellows. It should come off with Goof Off or similar. You'll likely need to replace the light seals on the bottom of the Dichroic head. That head will, I'd bet, be dusty inside. Clean it with forced air. Don't touch the bulb with bare hands (as with any other halogen bulb). Make sure the filters are all there and move properly in and out of the light bath.

As mentioned previously, the 4x5 mixing box will work for you for all formats; just with longer printing times for the smaller formats.

I've never used just the straight power supply, I've always used the Chromegatrol which has integrated timer. But I assume any decent timer with work. Plug the timer into the outlet on the power supply marked "To timer". Then, with an extension cord, connect the timer output to the "From timer" connection.

I'm confused by your statement that "So far the head lights up but I don't see how to get light to shine through it the from the lamp.". Are you saying the bulb lights up but no light passes into the mixing box and out the bottom of the head?

Negative carriers and lenses are easily found and (if necessary) shipped. You'll need the lens mount (which works for any lens) and the lens plate (which must match the thread size of your lens - 39mm is most common. Info here: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm

It might be helpful if we knew where you were located (city).

By all means get the manual to see what belongs on it, and stock #'s of the parts...

What's important I don't see in the pix is the lift arm assembly... This lifts the entire head up to put neg carrier on lower stage, then lowers head to sit on top of carrier... Harry Taylor had them at one time, but he's not around anymore I think... KHB would know what you need...

The gunk under the head around the diffuser needs to be cleaned and replaced... This is the gasket that presses down on neg carrier... It can be replaced with rubber foam tape 3/16" thick around diffuser area... Easy...

Lamp on and no light on diffuser??? Is mixing box installed properly??? If yes, check the light path in the head through the filter stack that light might not pass, like a stuck filter holder blocking light, or look for the 4th filter that is a mesh ND filter that is turned up too much... Open lid and zero all filters CC settings and all filters should be in same position in stack, then set CC settings to max and see where they sit together... Operate lever on side of head that moves all filters out of the way and watch that they all move together to the same open position... If one is stuck, give it a wiggle to see if if goes free... If all somewhat sticky, there is a bolt they all pivot on that can be loosened/barely tighten a few times until they swing free... Make sure the little coil springs are all attached to each filter...

The rest of the enlarger is an older D2, and carriers/lensboards are common out there for not much $$$...

Looks ok so far, but find lift parts first...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

You can use any timer with that power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You can use any timer with that power supply.
    +1

I have these same power sources. They work just fine. I've used several kinds of timers with mine. I've got GraLab 450s with foot switches now. At any rate, just plug the timer output into the outlet marked "From Timer" on the power source and make sure the multi-pin plug from the head is connected to the voltage regulator (which is plugged into the back of the power source) and you're good to go.

FYI, the upluggable unit on the back of the power source is the voltage regulator; you should use it always as it protects the lamp from voltage fluctuations.

Negative carriers shouldn't be hard to find plus you can make your own in a pinch from mat board or whatever. The Omega enlargers have funky lens plates threaded for common enlarging lenses. Since you don't have any lenses yet, try to get ones with standard 39mm threads. Otherwise, finding the right lens plate for an odd-size lens can be a bit difficult.

Best,

Doremus

The basic power supply is just a 250 watt, 24 volt transformer, so it should be feasible to find an equivalent on the internet if an OEM one is not available.

My negative carriers also covered a bit of the edge of the image. I took them to a local machine shop and they routed them out for me. I had
    to touch up the corners with a file but no biggie. I'd suggest, if you go that route, to tell the machinist to bevel the cuts (with the wider part towards
    the outside surfaces of the holder so that you don't have light scattering around the edges. Then touch up the cuts with some flat black paint if you're
    so inclined.

Once you get everything else working, you should check that the negative carrier, and the lens carrier are both parallel to the easel. Mine was way off
    at first; I'd expect any enlarger that was shipped or transported could be subject to that. The best tool for that is a laser device made for the purpose,
    but there are probably other ways as well.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com