Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure selling?

Secure selling?

Hello All -

I hope this is the correct section to ask this question. If not, would the moderator please move it where it is best suited?

When an individual sells a piece of equipment on this forum, how does the seller handle payment? I am only concerned with selling within the continental US. Would he/she require a certified bank check? Would she/he accept a personal check and then wait for it to clear before sending out the piece of equipment?

I am asking this as someone who would be selling on a limited or one-time basis, not as a business. I do not have a business account to accept credit cards.

I believe most people on this forum are honorable and wouldn't want to deceive or cheat anyone, but it does concern me when so much money and a valuable equipment are involved.

I do appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have,
    John

Re: Secure selling?

I think typically people use PayPal when buying and selling. I would certainly be very wary of taking a personal check. It always helps to check the age of the account/post history and there is the feedback forum if you are checking out a seller.

There is always some risk, but I don’t believe there have been any major issues. The 30 day wait to access the buying and selling sections certainly helps.

You can request a US Post Office money order and cash it at the post office before mailing your equipment.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 5-Jan-2021 at 22:10.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Paypal is the norm, but really, it's up to the buyer and seller to work it out however they are comfortable.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Since I lost money due to P---al many years ago, I only use USPS money orders, whether buying or selling.

Good luck getting most folks to send you checks / MO. Especially as a new member with no record or personal history on the site.

Get a PayPal account.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Postal Money Order is one the best aside pay pal. MO just takes longer... but MO as good as cash on the barrel head.

I see that my banks are promoting something called Zelle, which is a way of transferring money. If your bank uses it, it may be a good way. I need to look into it more.

Other good options are Venmo and cryptocurrencies like ETH and BTC. Crypto is especially useful for international transactions and much faster than wires, e.g. 15 minutes instead of days.

I love cash, AKA real paper money

I have gotten my best LF deals with cash on pickup

PayPal second

Never a bank cheque

nor a personal check

definity not digital crap
    Tin Can