Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 Eastman View No.2 Back Curiosity

Re: 5x7 Eastman View No.2 Back Curiosity

I handcarried the 5x7 on the tripod and had a full pack on for a recent 5 day backpack up Redwood Creek. I had room for the camera back and lens in my pack, so just had the darkcloth over the camera and a waterproof stuff-sack over that. Got a little tired by the end of my day and fell to my knees in the creek once, with the camera dipping underwater, but managed to keep it away from rocks. Dried out nicely in camp that late afternoon.

I actually noticed the corners of the camera back while stiffening up the springs from that hike -- noticed they were getting weak again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On_Creek_Pack.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Just curiourosity but could the GG have the corners be notched? As in 1/4X3/8" rather than removing the corner?
    I understand glass is scored, then snapped but what about using a Dremel with a diamond disc?

I thought about fancy cuts (or grinding) of the glass to minimize the viewing area w/o glass -- but at this point I would modify the back rather than do all that. Rounding the corners of the GG would be another way of modifying the GG to maximize viewing area.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I own 8x10 2D and I made my own ground glass and had my glass cutter cut the corners like the original that came with it. I figure they cut it that way for a specific purpose so I figure I do the same.

I'll most like just clip the corners of the new GG to match the old. Without front swing or tilt on the camera, the clipped corners are not as important for determining coverage, but nice if using a lens hood.