Thread: 150mm Apo-Symmar F/5.6 MC or L? Linhof 'Select' or not?

Red face 150mm Apo-Symmar F/5.6 MC or L? Linhof 'Select' or not?

I posted this earlier, over at APUG, but would really appreciate any insight that could be shared here:

I hope this doesn't seem like one of those 'which lens is best' threads. I know the answer to that: the difference may be evident in theory, but negligible in practice; more is attributable to other factors, not least the care and skill of the photographer, etc.

However,, is the extra coverage of the 75° ‘L’ version of this lens superfluous on a Linhof Master Technika, as the earlier 72° ‘MC’ exceeds the extent of the camera’s movements anyway? Or could a combination of movements like shift plus swing, say, stretch it too far? I have read that the extra ‘circle’ is more of illumination rather than sharpness anyway but, presumably, the extent of sharpness is nevertheless greater. I should add that I have a Sinar P2, too, which will test the limitations of any lens.

In many ways, this is the more important question: on a Linhof 'Select' Apo-Symmar lens, with the signature engraved on the outside rim of the rear lens, ought it to be on the front too? If it isn't, does that suggest a composite lens that has been assembled from the front of one lens, and the rear of another? I know that this might require pretty arcane knowledge, but I am trying to decide on the authenticity of a particular lens, and I know that this is one of the corners of the internet where someone is most likely to know.

Many thanks.

Adam.

Re: 150mm Apo-Symmar F/5.6 MC or L? Linhof 'Select' or not?

Linhof only puts their name on the rear cell if their isn’t enough room on the front rim. They never put it on both the front and rear.

Take an exceptionally close look at the 150 Apo Sironar S.

Yes, the differences are visible with a MT, especially at the edges when there is fine details there, with or without movements. And that quality holds over a larger range of image ratios as the S is corrected for ratios down to 1:10.

Thanks, Bob. So if on the rear, it wouldn't also be on the front. Maybe it is as originally supplied, then.

Apo-sironar-s. Yes, well known to me. I have the Sinaron-SE in 210mm and 240mm. I know of the reputation of the 150mm, but it's orders of magnitude more expensive than an apo-symmar of the same focal length.

I appreciate the advice.

I wonder if Linhof has any analogue lenses left to sell as "Select". The current lens price list on their website is dated April 2019. It shows the 90 mm Super Angulon XL with a price of €2785 and the Apo-Sironar-S in focal lengths of 150, 210, 240, 300, and 360 mm with the comment "Price on request."

(It also shows some lenses for the Technorama 612 and 617).
    David