Thread: Ideal Wet Plate Glasss

Ideal Wet Plate Glasss

I am about to order custom glass plate

What glass type is ideal?

What exact sizes, especially 5X7 and 8X10, some offer 0.002" tolerance

Just added ideal thickness which will vary by plate size

How about edge treatment after cutting to size

Meaning, what edge treatment best secures the emulsion at the edge?

Normal crack cuts, do nothing??

Hand filed edges?

Sanded edge?

Flame smoothed?

Glass Edge Types: Which Is Best for Your Project?
    Last edited by Tin Can; 19-Aug-2020 at 05:51. Reason: added ideal thickness
    Tin Can

Re: Ideal Wet Plate Glasss

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I am about to order custom glass plate

What glass type is ideal?

What exact sizes, especially 5X7 and 8X10, some offer 0.002" tolerance

Just added ideal thickness which will vary by plate size

How about edge treatment after cutting to size

Meaning, what edge treatment best secures the emulsion at the edge?

Normal crack cuts, do nothing??

Hand filed edges?

Sanded edge?

Flame smoothed?

Glass Edge Types: Which Is Best for Your Project?
    As you probably know, Randy - I use 1.3mm glass from those Dollar Store import picture frames. I see no point in purchasing anything fancier.

As for de-burring the glass, this is covered in Quinn's book, I believe. Sandpaper works, but I prefer using a sharpening stone. I have more control with a stone, and it lasts forever.
    However, even with a proper de-burring of the edges, there is potential for adherence failure of the collodion unless the glass is scrupulously cleaned. I like to edge the glass with a 1/8" band of dilute albumen to ensure adherence. It takes an extra five seconds per plate, but that's negligible. Edging with albumen is also covered in Quinn's books.

I think you are buying MCS Industries which is

"We are a global home décor manufacturing company headquartered in Easton, Pennsylvania. We are able to provide best-in-class products because we source and manufacture products all over the world. We have an office in China, we own a vertically integrated manufacturing facility in Mexico, and four distribution centers throughout the United States."

Found Walmart sold them cheapest with free delivery Friday

24-5X7 and 6-8X10 $42

However I will be 'recycling?' a bunch of plastic frames and packing

Hopefully these fit my new dry and wet, plate holders

If not, I will order custom

I no longer shop in any store

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    As you probably know, Randy - I use 1.3mm glass from those Dollar Store import picture frames. I see no point in purchasing anything fancier.

As for de-burring the glass, this is covered in Quinn's book, I believe. Sandpaper works, but I prefer using a sharpening stone. I have more control with a stone, and it lasts forever.
    However, even with a proper de-burring of the edges, there is potential for adherence failure of the collodion unless the glass is scrupulously cleaned. I like to edge the glass with a 1/8" band of dilute albumen to ensure adherence. It takes an extra five seconds per plate, but that's negligible. Edging with albumen is also covered in Quinn's books.
    Tin Can

Just got the MCS frames with glass. Under 48 hours, Walmart is trying hard

The 5X7 and 8X10 are exactly their size, with edge smoothing and very clean as packaged

The 5X7 fits my Chroma Camera wet plate holder perfectly and exactly

The 8X10 fits my nice old wood dry plate holders very well

This glass is 1.62 mm thick

Tin Can

Would plexi work for the process? Picture framing uses a lot of it in basic to Museum coated plexiglass.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Good question I have been meaning to ask. There are some very tough plastics.

While looking for the answer I stumbled on this gem of a wet plate site

http://collodionbastards.org/ a group of hacking hackers who experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Would plexi work for the process? Picture framing uses a lot of it in basic to Museum coated plexiglass.
    Tin Can

I buy my glass from a local glass co. 3/32 is the thinnest stuff they have. Their cuts are pretty clean but I sand down the edges with sandpaper.
    I have successfully made plates on plexiglass as well. It generally isn't cheaper than glass for me so I haven't explored it much. I did make a plate on plexi with a front surface mirror to see if it would work as a faux daguerreotype because Coffer mentions it in his book. The look was interesting but didn't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Quinn Jacobson mentions using black plexiglas to make "plexitypes" (plastic equivalent of Ambrotypes) and he says he likes the results a lot. Its more expensive than glass, but apparently it has a very deep black and gives richness and depth. I have never tried plexiglas myself, because of the cost. (I can make a true Ambrotype for less than half the cost of Plexiglas)

Logical, after all emulsions stick to very flexible film

Quinn Jacobson mentions using black plexiglas to make "plexitypes" (plastic equivalent of Ambrotypes) and he says he likes the results a lot. Its more expensive than glass, but apparently it has a very deep black and gives richness and depth. I have never tried plexiglas myself, because of the cost. (I can make a true Ambrotype for less than half the cost of Plexiglas)
    Tin Can

For small plates, black or dark purple glass looks great.