Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading 5x7 film in Jobo 3006

Loading 5x7 film in Jobo 3006

Good evening all,

I have a very dumb question for you all. I have a Jobo 3006 that can accept both 4x5 and 5x7 sheets. After reading the manual (that is a bit unclear to me regarding this issue. I quote “ When loading 4 x 5 inch film, push the material into the cylinder only until it is flush with the top of the cylinder. When loading the Drum with films of sizes 8 1/2 x12", 8x10" or 5x7", push the material to the bottom of the Drum cylinder.” ), I assumed that 5x7 sheets should be loaded « laterally », meaning the 5 inches edge is vertical and the notches are at the bottom of the tank.

My first try with test sheets was successful and I just processed 2 sheets that came out very unevenly developed.
    I believe the sheets might have overlapped in their container. Should the sheets be actually loaded vertically (7 inches side vertical) even though 2 inches would stick out of the container?

I used 500ml of pyrocat hd as my developer.

Thank you for your help

Photographer

Re: Loading 5x7 film in Jobo 3006

In 3006, one sheet per cylinder loaded with the 5” dimension vertically in tube. 500ml might be a too little. I normally use about 1000 ml of any developer.

The 3006 isn’t meant for 8x10; only 5x7 and 4x5.
    Last edited by Keith Pitman; 22-Jul-2020 at 05:33.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Myxine View Post
    Should the sheets be actually loaded vertically (7 inches side vertical) even though 2 inches would stick out of the container?
    No, the way you have it is really the only way you can do it.

Afraid I've never used any pyro developer, but in many, many runs with 5x7 in a 3006 using standard developers (mostly D-76 and DD-X) I've never had a problem with uneven development. 500ml is more than enough to cover the film evenly from a physical perspective, but I don't know how much active agent you have in that much Pyrocat HD and whether that's sufficient.

Are you using a Jobo processor, or are you using a roller base or rolling the drum manually? If the latter, what exactly is your procedure for filling the drum with developer, agitating, and emptying the drum?

Hi Oren,

Thank you for your answer. I manually roll the drum on a homemade roller. It is level. I pour the chemicals with the tank inclined about 45 degrees. It takes about 10-15s.
    The unevenness spans the whole width of the sheet, like a wave in 2 or 3 places on the sheet.
    My best guess is that I did not place the sheets properly and that there was an overlap.

I shall make another test shot before processing further valuable negs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pre-wet cycle may help. Just plain water to help prepare the emulsion to receive the developer.

at what dilution do you use the PYROCAT HD?

Thank you! I had made a 5min run with water before pouring the developer.

Thank you for your advices though, it makes me feel like I’m doing things almost right and then should be not far away from success, it might have been a beginner with the system error.

I will also put more developer in. Pyrocat is cheap enough that I can use 1000mL

Jim: I’m using 1.1.100 dilution, the same one and same time I have used in BTZS tubes for years with 4x5.

With 5x7 is was previously using another device that would only allow me to develop 1 sheet at a time and it is too tedious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No film should be protruding over the lip of the drum...5x7 just gets pushed all the way to the bottom...although I don't go all the way down with 5x7 in the 3005 -- no problems.

The drum is level and rotating as I add the different solutions, using a slightly curve hose and a funnel.

I use the 3006 for 4x5 and 5x7 with Pyrocat HD...and 3005 drums for both 5x7 and 8x10

From Jobo Instructions; " While 4 x 5" film should be flush with the top of the tubes, 5 x 7" and 8 x 10" should be pushed to the bottom of the tubes. Load 4 x 5" film into the 3006 drum with the curl along the 5" length of the film. Load 5 x 7" film into the 3005 drum with the curl along the 7" length of the film.

Funny how they forget to mention 5x7 film orientation in the 3006 Drum...I suppose it really only goes in the one way.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Photographer

Another caution: the emulsion side of the film should be loaded inward.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Myxine View Post
    I pour the chemicals with the tank inclined about 45 degrees. It takes about 10-15s.
    What is your overall development time?