Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner problem - HP 4890

Scanner problem - HP 4890

I was given this scanner about five years ago and it's always been temperamental; in that time I've only managed seven scans! The main problem has always seemed to me to be the software, in that what is in the booklet and online help for the model doesn't seem to correspond with what is seen on the software interface. So I'm left to work it out intuitively. I place a negative in its holder, set the scanning parameters - no major deviations from the defaults, just selecting Greyscale and size mainly. Then preview; select the frame to scan, and Save. The preview image seems good, but what is saved is totally black. I'm going nuts over this. I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail. I've removed the old software and reinstalled the latest drivers for Mac (2010 as it happens), and in the past have even contacted the local HP support, without success because they no longer support this model.

So... does anyone have any ideas on this? Maybe someone has even had experience? The confusing thing to me is that the machine sounds as though it's working normally, AND I'm getting a good preview image, BUT no image output, just 35MB of 4x5 black. I deduce from this that the scanner is communicating with the computer - proof of this is that I get a good preview image (see screenshot) - therefore the scanner hardware is OK. So I must be doing something wrong. But what??? I really need to get this thing going and I've been letting it defeat me for too long. Grateful for any help.

Barry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 3.28.19 pm.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	206107

(Shrek)

Re: Scanner problem - HP 4890

i have used this scanner and have experienced this problem, but for me it was only 1 in 100 scans or so and I could get it to work by restarting both the scanner and my (windows) computer. You may have a faulty scanner that has fried electronics.

Peter

Jody's experience seems to suggest strongly that it could be the hardware, but have you tried VueScan?

I found a G4050 in a thrift shop a couple years ago. I remembered it being horribly maligned when it came out, but for three bucks I figured, why not? On a Mac the HP software was absolutely horrible. I have Vuescan for my other scanners though and using that the scanner was pretty much just as good as the two other flatbeds I have. Color with the HP and Vuescan looks especially good. I'd say try downloading the trial of Vuescan.

Thanks all. Yes I have tried VueScan... I've been playing around with it for several days, without success. However VueScan says my scanner is a ScanJet 4850C, which may or may not be equivalent. The screenshot below shows the result of a preview scan in VueScan. It does suggest that the problem is with the hardware, but it may also be that VieScan is misidentifying the scanner, since I get a preview image with the HP software but not with VueScan. Frustration, frustration!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.41.15 am.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	206134

Try the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version.

Thanks for the idea. Tried it and it didn't even recognise the scanner. I've concluded I've got a dud.

Hey Barry, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your HP 4890 scanner! It can be super frustrating when the software doesn't match up with the instructions. Have you considered trying an alternative solution for scanning your negatives? Check out Smart Engines SDK - it's an OCR engine that can help you scan and digitize your images. Plus, it's super user-friendly and doesn't require any special setup or complicated software installations. I've tried it myself and tested it on my own skin. Give it a shot. It might just save you from going nuts!
    Last edited by Roger Wolf; 9-Feb-2023 at 08:30.

I've got an HP 4890, and I consider you lucky.

I have yet to get mine to work with any Windows operating system. Who knows if it's a hardware issue (with my computers), HP software, Operating System, or something else problem. The scanner fires up OK.

I've got it connected to two computers -- one Windows 10 and the other either Windows 98 or XP. Supposedly the scanner will work with any of these, but on the Windows 10 machine it reports a problem with my USB port -- although the USB ports all work fine with other devices.

On the Windows XP/98 machine, the HP software gives me a "software not installed" error. Big help.

I've tried every thing possible, and if I had "a month of Sundays" lying around, I could probably get it to work.

If I do, I'll report back -- but it's NOT on my "bucket list".

But I will ask, Are you using an HP film holder with the sensor slit-opening on the end? I've found that on some scanners, if that slit is not exactly positioned correctly, it will not scan at all, or really mess things up.
    Last edited by xkaes; 7-Feb-2023 at 18:35.

Yes xkaes, I was using the correct neg holder. But after years of taking up space I recently took it to the local recycling depot thinking that someone might at least need a working flatbed scanner. I'm now saving my pennies for an Epson V850.