Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: career

career

hi my name is Rosie and i was wondering what kinda schooliong is requiered to be a photogrpher and how much money on average they make.I am inerested in photographing snowboarders and skaters for like the x-games or something and what would requer me to be able to do that.

career

I don't have all the answers but I can tell you that if you want photo snowsports you have to be one of them. Same with mountaineering. To be there when they are there and to get them to allow you to photograph them you will need to be a very good snowboarder or skier or climber and maybe all three. They won't want to carry a novice which takes up their snow time, especially when new snow has fallen. And especially so if you are photographing away from marked pistes or the halfpipe. That will be 90% of the battle. Acquiring the photographic skills will be much easier. Getting well paid for the images will be much harder.

career

No schooling is required Rosie. Get a camera and go out and make pictures. I'm sure with your writing skills, all you'll need is a good eye. Or you can go work at View Camera magazine as a proof reader.

career

Hey Leonard, go read this thread. If the shoe fits ...
    http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/504479.html
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

career

Leonard, you beat me to the punch.

career

Rosie, Im glad you have taken an interest in recording the activities of your friends. I have seen some great stuff done with various different cameras of our local skaterboarders. I myself have been planning on taking a large format camera down to the local board park.

As Rob mentioned, the best way to get into it, is just that. Get into it. Pick up a good used camera. Pester the heck out of the camera store clerk that's going to sell it to you so you know how to load film etc. Then start shooting. Your friends reactions will tell you if you are on the right track.

Most of the people on this forum don't shot anything that's moved in the last million years so this place may not be the best place to get the advice and guidance you need.

Go to www.altphotos.com they have a pretty young crowd there. Maybe you can strike up an online relationship with someone who can mentor you.

Take care and good luck.

Eric
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

career

Back to the question. This isn't exactly the right forum for a snowboard photographer but I'm sure there are several people here who make the cross-over. The truth is that most of the participants are middle-aged, male, serious hobby photographers with technical backgrounds and obsessive compulsive personalities.

I think you'd find more concrete information over on the snowboard forums, and maybe wider ranging general sports photography forums like http://www.sportsshooter.com/ (many photo nerds there too). But the basic idea of shooting A LOT in the real situations is sound.

I used to be a ski bum 25+ years ago. One of the other stoner bums was always shooting some crappy camera of our adventures in Alta and now he is a full time ski photographer in Utah, with numerous covers and campaigns to his credit. But he worked (and played) hard and consistently. That's the only true advice I can share.

As for the techy stuff - it is all online, in books, or you can gather it from asking questions. A short college course in basic photography or some other learning assignment is enough to get you started on the right track, and more than one very famous and successful photographer never studied anything photographically in a formal setting. In fact, it may be to your advantage to get a good liberal arts education so you know what it is you are photographing and how to educate yourself, rather than being spoonfed some soon to be obsolete photo-school curriculum.

And please, take some spelling! Good luck.

career

This is a joke, right?

career

Rosie, I shoot landscape but I also photograph people going about their preoccupations in the landscape. Landscape photographs by themselves are wonderful. However a person or group of people preoccupied add a dimension to any scene. Go for it!

career

Rosie

Do you want to go to college or jump straight into photographing snowboarding?

If you have no interest in furthering your education, grab a camera and start making photographs. Life's good when you're making turns.

But if you're interested in getting a formal photographic education, you'll need to do your research. No one can tell you where to go to school. You need to find the correct mix for you. There are many very fine schools. They will make you work very hard, stretch your mind, and prepare you for a life of photography.

For full discloser, I have my degree in Photo-Journalism, from the SI Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University. You should also look into Brooks Institute, Ohio University, RIT, Rhode Island School of Design, University of Missouri, etc.

If a 4-year program isn't your taste, there are many fine 2-year schools that will teach you the basics.

Good luck with your dream. Don't give up. Enjoy the snow.