Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 Camera + Accessories: Advice

Re: 8x10 Camera + Accessories: Advice

Reading the OP, it seems that you are looking to put together the "best" kit for your expected activity.

If Large Format photography becomes something you do regularly for an extended portion of your life, what ever you stat out with will not be what you are shooting with two, five or eight years out.

As you shoot, your workflow and technique will evolve as will your creative vision. What you think you want to shoot with just now may not (will not) suit your photographic style along the way. Over time you may want to work with a different camera, lens, tripod, backpack, focusing hood and so on.

In the early 1990s, I started with a shoe-string assemblage based around a beaten Speed Graphic with an uncoated bargain lens on a Star tripod : all of it packed into a Jansport book bag filled with layers of hand cut sleeping pad foam. Took this kit to the Grand Canyon on our 20th anniversary. Still have the camera. A number of outfits later, I use a Kodak 2D and a Zone VI. Everything else is different too. But . . .

This opinion is separate from the cost of or investment in gear. It is not about the money.

The single most important thing in my mind, is to put together a workable kit and shoot. your "ideal" outfit will evolve over time. Do not over plan your gear selection. Let your kit grow and evolve as you do.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The Bogen 3057 head is great, but it's much too large and heavy for your application. Pix don't do justice to the size.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

(Shrek)

Lens:
    Nikon Nikkor W 300mm f5.6 Large Format Lens
    That's a fine lens but completely unsuited to backpacking. I would start with one of the f9 lenses in a Copal 1 shutter. I'm partial to the G-Clarons but that's me.

I'm with Drew {Post #11). Great photographs have been made with modest equpiment. Pulitzer prize photos have even been captured with box cameras. Compare Timothy O'Sullivan's Ancient Ruins in the Canyon de Chelle, New Mexico, 1873 with Ansel Adams' similar photograph made in 1942. I prefer the earlier masterpiece to the later one, despite the vast improvements in equipment and materials made in 69 years.

I may rarely use a polarizing filter, but usually carry one. Tripod heads and quick releases are conveniences, not necessities. A sturdy tripod with fully adjustable legs usually suffices and sometimes works better.

You can make great art with a box and a hole, but if you’re trying to gear up based on what you spec’d I would agree with the prior recommendation of a gitzo 5 series for support. I have the Z2 and like it. For loupes, I like a Toyo 8x or 5x (I prefer lower magnification) on ebay.