Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mexico: Taos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque

New Mexico: Taos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque

Visiting from Illinois on a quick trip but did a little sight seeing. Wonder if anyone knows of photographer’s work I can look at? Some of the landscapes and scenic vistas were remarkable. Any recommendations for places to photograph if I can finagle a return some day? Any photographic history I should know?

Thanks

Ken

Re: New Mexico: Taos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque

knj, New Mexico is a remarkable place. Check out the work of David Michael Kennedy https://www.davidmichaelkennedy.com/: an interesting photographer who lives in El Rito. Next time you're there make sure to visit the Georgia O'Keefe Museum in Santa Fe as well as the NM Museum of Art.
    I've seen great shows there. Drive the High Road from Taos to Santa Fe, and stop in Chimayo. Drive from Santa Fe to Chama & Pagosa Springs Co, stopping at Ghost Ranch and the Plaza Blanca. It is very visually worthwhile to book a tour of Georgia O'Keefe's house in Abiquiu.

Check out the work of photographer Laura Gilpin http://www.photographydealers.com/artists/laura-gilpin/. The Andrew Smith Gallery used to be on the corner close to the G O'Keefe Museum but has moved to Tucson. They had an outstanding array of work. The Photo-eye Gallery in Santa Fe is also home of interesting photography.
    If you're looking for a photo tour guide, Geraint Smith, a Taos photographer, offers that service. https://geraintsmith.com/.
    If you want unique high-end personal platinum/palladium workshop David Michael Kennedy is your man.
    It's hard to go wrong photographically in New Mexico. Paul Strand did some outstanding work there. https://www.google.com/search?q=paul...ItrO72fuhyMAnd of course beyond his famous "Moonrise Hernandez NM", Ansel Adams, did too. His photo of Georgia OKeefe and Orville Cox is one my my favourite photographs ever!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download-7.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	205975
    Last edited by Greg Y; 19-Jul-2020 at 17:56.

Bandelier Nat'l Monument...NW of Santa Fe, features some interesting rock erosion holes - and is very easy to walk around (at least in the Valley). A little further along, up and over the Jimenez Mts. (some good forest-y stuff here), then down into Valles Caldera - the size of this ancient volcanic feature will take your breath away.

A little less than an hour south of S.F. is Tent Rocks - interesting geologic features, with some nearly slot-like overhangs and interesting vegetation, all on a fairly easy pathway. If you head north of S.F. towards Taos...then by all means take the "High Rd." route - much more scenic that way. A really interesting shrine along the way but I forget what its called. The inhabitants of Taos Pueblo are really great...but if you go please do show a genuine interest in who they are, their families, and what they are about. They work so hard to cater to us touristas and I think this can be a bit wearing and it shows at times. If they invite you to a sit down barbecue...say yes!

At any rate...the "Golden Circle Route" which leaves just NW of Taos, heads north and then east then south, is really interesting. Some good vineyards on the way back to SF - one of these, "Black Mesa," has a particularly good (at least a couple of years ago) bottle, called "Abiquiu White," which is very unique among the worldwide plethora of white wines (they'll likely ship to your location also).

Oh...and a great cheap meal in a great location is available, cafeteria style, at Ghost Ranch. I recommend taking your meal outside, grab (or share) a picnic table, preferably under a large cottonwood tree, and even better if it looks out to Cerra Padernal...a mountain peak featured in many of Georgia O'keefe's works, and full of spiritual significance for Ms. O'keefe, not to mention that her ashes are scattered there. (But...hmmm...not sure how they are dealing with Covid - maybe call ahead?) Finally, to work off your meal, there is a short but very interesting trail, behind Ghost Ranch, which twists and winds its way through lots of great rocks and vegetation.

And don't forget to wander a bit in "the old" Santa Fe. Go in the am just as shopkeepers are opening up and speak with them. They are very passionate about what they do and sell. And also don't forget the Palace of the Governors...where, under the long portico, from morning until about noon, native americans set up blankets upon which they sell their handicrafts. They've been doing this there for over 100 years (I think)...and their work is amazing. Just a bit north of this, do find William Clift's photography gallery. I was lucky enough to meet him there awhile back. Lots of other art to see also. Oh...almost forgot to mention the O'keefe museum, and a great photography gallery right next to this (have forgotten its name). Enjoy! (sorry for being so long-winded!)

John, One of the shows I was lucky enough to see at the New Mexico Museum of Art, was William Clift's "Shiprock & Mont St Michel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJHC2n59cf8
    Last edited by Greg Y; 19-Jul-2020 at 16:08.

When I visited O'Keeffe's museum a couple of years ago, they had paintings by native Americans. It was modern art, not what I expected. Here's an example: It was painted by Mike Medicine Horse Zillioux who is Cheyenne Pawnee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF.jpg  

It may have been in Santa Fe's AIA Museum of Contemporary Native Arts, not the O'Keeffe Museum.

John Olsen

For more recent work check out our own Kirk Gittings. He's got blogs and stuff that you can google.

Kirk Gittings https://www.gittingsphoto.com/. Kirk's work was shown last year in a wonderful presentation of 6 New
    Mexico photographers at the Mesa Public Library in Los Alamos along with the work of Jan Pietrzak. "So Far From Heaven." https://www.axleart.com/kirk-gittings
    Also worth checking out is the work of Craig Varjabedian https://www.craigvarjabedian.com/. .....especially his book of photos of Ghost Ranch

You're likely right Alan Klein, The Georgia O'Keefe museum features Georgia O'Keefe's work and I found there were a lot of beautiful small photographs of her travels in and around the southwest, that have not been widely seen. For me those were the gems.
    Last edited by Greg Y; 19-Jul-2020 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    Visiting from Illinois on a quick trip but did a little sight seeing. Wonder if anyone knows of photographer’s work I can look at? Some of the landscapes and scenic vistas were remarkable. Any recommendations for places to photograph if I can finagle a return some day? Any photographic history I should know?

Thanks

Ken

Our own http://doremusscudder.com/ . Photogenesis Gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Gotta chime in again...first with apologies to Kirk G that I forgot to mention him, and about Moonrise...I've tried to find the location by what I remember of the photo. Was driving by...very late in the day so light was approaching that in the photo... and looking over my shoulder, and suddenly there was a familiar horizon...but the foreground is very different it seems. Did I or did I not see at least part of that cemetery?