Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on 4x5 compatible 5x7 field camera

Re: Advice on 4x5 compatible 5x7 field camera

We assume you have read this page

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/
    Tin Can

I had a Rittreck with 5x7 back several years ago. They are built like a tank and pretty indestructible when folded up. The lens board is different from most, so I also had a Technika adapter which helped a lot. That said, it has a number of limitations compared to many 5x7 cameras, so it might be a good only as a starter camera. Unfolding and folding it is an interesting exercise too, though no big deal once you use it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRepublic View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies and warm welcome. The Deardorff and Canham seem (likely deservedly) very expensive, since its my first foray, I seem to be leaning towards an Intrepid 5x7, or a Burke and James, or the Rittreck View. Would anyone have any experience with the Rittreck and would it be a bad choice? I really like the industrial, all metal design! I'm hesitant on the all wood B&Js though they do seem light.

I'm also interested in understanding the negative carriers, are they all of the same design, or does each camera take its own propriety negative holders?
    @DrTang I see alot of affordable Linhof Tech III's but my understanding is that their lensboards are hard to come by.
    @Tin Can / Kent The I see no results for the Korona camera on ebay, they seem very rare!

Thanks everyone for the replies and warm welcome. The Deardorff and Canham seem (likely deservedly) very expensive, since its my first foray, I seem to be leaning towards an Intrepid 5x7, or a Burke and James, or the Rittreck View. Would anyone have any experience with the Rittreck and would it be a bad choice? I really like the industrial, all metal design! I'm hesitant on the all wood B&Js though they do seem light.

I'm also interested in understanding the negative carriers, are they all of the same design, or does each camera take its own propriety negative holders?...
    If one can get a good price for a Deardorf Special, they are likely to hold their price if one decides to sell it. Just something to factor in. Modern cameras will take the standard 5x7 holders...most of the older ones, Kodak 2D for example, will too. But best to double check with the seller.

I use a 5x7 Eastman Kodak View No.2. Only rise/fall on the front, but nice geared full movements for the back. It has been working out well as a travel and backpacking camera as well as an everyday machine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7a.jpg   EV2_5x7b.jpg   5x7.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'll use a Agfa Ansco with both 4x5 and 5x7 backs. Good 'nuf for what I need.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Andrej Gregov

+1 on the Deardorf Special. I've seen them sell in the $1200-1500 dollar range.

I’m currently developing an accessory kit that will allow you to convert my 4x5 Chroma Carbon Adventurer into a 5x7 Camera whenever you wish. The accessory kit contains a swap out rear body/film back, larger bellows (magnetic) and longer focusing bed. With the longer bed and replacement rear body, you will retain the 60mm minimum focal length, but extend the maximum to just under 400mm (4x5 is 60-280mm as standard).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3E5FD47-8F5B-44CC-BDA5-FDBC989CC1C6.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	206162

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	217B0E95-0977-418B-B917-ABDE6E1B8E04.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	206163

The 5x7 rear body retains the standard 20mm rise, 17 degrees of rearwards tilt (no limit forward tilt) and 10 degrees of swing each way.

The rear body is swappable by removing two thumbscrews, the bellows are a simple magnetic fit and the focusing bed just requires two screws to be removed. All of the parts can be swapped back to 4x5 for when you want a smaller camera.

I want to sign in with the Korona guys. My 5x7 (and I have a 4x5 back, too) is a delightful and well-thought out camera. It's got front and back extensions and huge bellows draw, but will also work with a 108mm lens on a slightly-recessed board. If you want to go wider, maybe not.

It weighs less than almost all of my 4x5s, and quite a bit less than my 5x7 Ansco view, so it's the one I grab for trips out. The camera, holders, a couple of lenses and the tidbits fit easily in a large messenger bag, and I can carry that on a walk, no problem. In fact, it's set up right now in front of me in the corner, because of all the cameras I have, it's the one I'm most likely to grab.

When I bought it, it was set up with a 4x5 back, only. I fitted a 5x7, and that format is definitely my preference in sheet sizes--large enough to enjoy a big ground glass, small enough to carry around.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...n/38793181450/
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

I use a 5x7 Eastman Kodak View No.2. Only rise/fall on the front, but nice geared full movements for the back. It has been working out well as a travel and backpacking camera as well as an everyday machine!
    I have an 8x10 2D and like it. One feature that I like about the 2D and the B&J designs is that the rail can fold up to protect the lens while mounted for transport. The press cameras are self-storing too with the right lenses. My Zone VI and many other field cameras do fold up into a compact, tight package, but the lens must come off first. Adds complexity and several steps when moving around.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Intrepid Camera

Hi folks, just joined the forum today as recently I've been super interested in large format photomaking. Ive started absorbing the literature online, and wanted to poll this forum for some recommendations for a 5x7 camera that can occasionally, but still effectively, be used with 4x5 sheet film, and one that takes readily available lens boards and film holders.

I believe the Wista DX 45 iii has an adapting back for 5x7 image making, are there any others I should look into?
    Please keep in mind that I'm trying very hard to stave off the Linhoff Master Technika lust (I'm not even sure if their 5x7 cameras can use modern lens boards)

I'm so very excited to get started on the LF journey, and am very grateful for any help!
    Hello, welcome to the forum!

We make a 5x7 camera and a 5x7 to 4x5 reducing back for it, might be what you are after

5x7 Camera -> https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...x7?taxon_id=29

Reducing Back -> https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...-reducing-back

let me know if you have any questions about it!

@DrTang I see alot of affordable Linhof Tech III's but my understanding is that their lensboards are hard to come by.
    well..5x7 tech lensboards are very hard to find..although not impossible; the linhof tech III 4x5 lensboards might be hard to find..but they are basically a square piece of metal..so anyone who has a metal shear could make you a stack of 'em