Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Pressman into a 4x5 enlarger

Converting a Pressman into a 4x5 enlarger

Just wondering if it’s possible or been done with something similar. Thanks.

Re: Converting a Pressman into a 4x5 enlarger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflarger.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	205949

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflarger.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	205949
    Well, well, well. That would do it, but probably rare as hens’ teeth.

There's plenty out there, but the problem is they may or not work now, as the grid inside may be bad, or more commonly, the wiring is old and deintergrates... I had to rebuild one that the wiring insulators turned to dust and shorted!!! Power pack is filled with tar to insulate, and blocks access to at least 1 cable... And the neg carrier is a little undersized, and there is a light fall-off near the corners...

There is a new version of this from one of the new start-up camera makers using LED'S that's worth looking into...

Finding a used camera copy stand to support enlarging camera will save much time and effort during use...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    There's plenty out there, but the problem is they may or not work now, as the grid inside may be bad, or more commonly, the wiring is old and deintergrates... I had to rebuild one that the wiring insulators turned to dust and shorted!!! Power pack is filled with tar to insulate, and blocks access to at least 1 cable... And the neg carrier is a little undersized, and there is a light fall-off near the corners...

There is a new version of this from one of the new start-up camera makers using LED'S that's worth looking into...

Finding a used camera copy stand to support enlarging camera will save much time and effort during use...

Steve K
    Thanks. Would you have a link to the LED unit?

Just say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Just say no.
    ??

The Graflex.org website has an Aristo part number for the lamp. Aristo was making them as needed... about 20 years ago. Lol

Light source can be found easily these days (LED Panel), You will need to make a device to hold the light panel to the back of the camera with provisions for a negative carrier. Traditionally wood is used but 3d printing would be state-of-the-art these days.

Many would agree (as DuoLab hinted above) that a pre-manufactured device (an actual Large Format Enlarger) is the best way to go.

Some person on APUG was hemming and hawing over buying a functioning 4x5 Omega enlarger for $45.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Light source can be found easily these days (LED Panel), You will need to make a device to hold the light panel to the back of the camera with provisions for a negative carrier. Traditionally wood is used but 3d printing would be state-of-the-art these days.

Many would agree (as DuoLab hinted above) that a pre-manufactured device (an actual Large Format Enlarger) is the best way to go.

Some person on APUG was hemming and hawing over buying a functioning 4x5 Omega enlarger for $45.
    I'm sure buying a 4x5 enlarger would be the best option, but this is the DIY sub-forum, after all. lol

I recently missed out on a complete, free 4x5 darkroom in Savannah by only a couple of hours. I'll keep looking. I'm not really handy with electrical stuff anyway.

If you want to DIY an enlarger, elgatosuizo posted a guide in this sub forum recently on how it can be done for ~$100. 4x5 enlargers aren’t super rare either though, so if you don’t want to do DIY electronics, keep your eyes open one will probably turn up. I know the photography center near where I am has a few for sale, but shipping from VT to SC may be cost prohibitive.