Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were Verito 18” lenses made in different barrel lengths?

Were Verito 18” lenses made in different barrel lengths?

Sorry for the strange question, but I am looking at two Verito 18” lenses that seem to have barrels of different lengths. One of the lenses is 7.5” in total length and the other is about 9” in total length. Is this possible or is one of them an imposter? Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

Re: Were Verito 18” lenses made in different barrel lengths?

Is it marked as a Verito lens? There were no unmarked Verito lenses...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wollensak Verito1912lp865-12-13-small.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	205945

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Mine are all 7.5 inches. The 16-inch Vitax is 9 inches. Perhaps someone switched barrels? But the Vitax had a soft-focus knob that would identify it.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Can you add some comparative pictures of the two Veritos side-by-side? The older-style Verito (in a brass barrel or black barrel with the fleur-de-lis) appears a bit longer than the later versions, but it’s hard to tell from disparate catalogs and sales listings.

Yes there are different lengths as well as different placement of mounting flanges.

Thank you all for the incredibly fast and, as usual, thorough help. I appreciate the confirmations. I wasn't necessarily surprised by variations in the barrel and shutter placements, but the difference in barrel length and the separation of the front and rear element seemed weird to me. Both lenses are labelled as Verito 18" Diffused Focus on the front element, although the labeling differs slightly in word order. Here are pics of the two lenses.

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences optically or in other terms of photographic performance as between older or newer versions? I haven't been able to test them both, but am likely partial to the longer one (which Whir-Click suggests is the older version), as having the flange at the end of the lens seems more Packard-shutter-friendly if I decide to mount one for general use inside the studio camera that this lens will do duty with.

In all cases, thanks again for the helpful confirm. Best of luck in all your photography.

This is the longer one with the flange at the end (perhaps the older version?). It has the labeling on the barrel as seen in the photo and the front element is labelled "VERITO 18 INCH DIFFUSED FOCUS F-4"

Name:	Maybe Older Verito.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	206008

This is the shorter one with the mid-mounted flange (perhaps the newer version?). It has no labeling on the barrel and the rear barrel is flat-black painted (perhaps anti-reflection). The front element is labelled "Verito Diffused Focus f.-4. 18 Inches"

Name:	Maybe Newer Verito.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	206009

The Verito design was changed in 1920. You can read about the differences in the pages from Wollensak’s Lensology and Shutterisms V. 8 No. 4 below.

Your longer barrel with the fleur-de-lis is likely the old design. You can try the serial number on the Studio shutter and/or name ring against my Wollensak serial number project here.

If you have an opportunity to post images taken with both lenses at the same aperture, it would be an instructive comparison of the old and “new” Verito designs. I can’t recall having seen such a comparison.

Name:	D312B24A-C5CE-42F4-A8E1-B04A61372B57.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	206016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F927BCD-D76B-42F1-BF5F-C45438ECB1E7.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	206017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7EFF74A5-4A28-4DFF-B2CA-E67303B5703C.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	206018

Re: Were Verito 18Β” lenses made in different barrel lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    The Verito design was changed in 1920. You can read about the differences in the pages from WollensakΒ’s Lensology and Shutterisms V. 8 No. 4 below.

Your longer barrel with the fleur-de-lis is likely the old design. You can try the serial number on the Studio shutter and/or name ring against my Wollensak serial number project here.

If you have an opportunity to post images taken with both lenses at the same aperture, it would be an instructive comparison of the old and Β“newΒ” Verito designs. I canΒ’t recall having seen such a comparison.

Name:	D312B24A-C5CE-42F4-A8E1-B04A61372B57.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	206016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F927BCD-D76B-42F1-BF5F-C45438ECB1E7.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	206017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7EFF74A5-4A28-4DFF-B2CA-E67303B5703C.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	206018

Thank you so much for the even greater detail. Yes, it looks like 1913 vs 1920. I kind of like the concept of flexibility in a greater range of softness in the earlier lens, as I have enough w/s of lighting for that not to matter, but the purported WYSIWYG benefits of the latter design may be worth giving up a supersoft f/4. Thank you again for the great help. The wealth of knowledge among members on LFPF never ceases to amaze me. I don't know that I'll have enough time to run the side by side, as it will require some side work and logistics, but I will try to fit something in.

If that helps: I have a Verito 18" f/4,5 #15204 with iris and without any shutter. Total length is 7 1/4" (184 mm). The flange is positioned at the rear of the lens.

Below please find a very quick and dirty side by side of the 1913 (longer, end flange) vs 1920 (shorter, mid flange) Veritos. Please take this with a very healthy dose of salt, considering that I don't test lenses and really just wanted to give a very high level sense of the old vs new model shift in f-stop impact. This was done as a digital capture off an 8x10 groundglass. No post-process other than cropping to the 8x10 image (keep in mind that the ground glass was in a slightly different location for the shots relative to the digital camera as the rear cell is further back (into the view camera) in the latter version - that's why the perspective is different. Also keep in mind that I tried to shield extraneous light between the view camera back and the digital camera, but did not succeed greatly. I would really just look at these as giving a very rough idea of the Verito soft focus style differences at different f-stops between the two lenses. I would not make any judgments as to contrast, sharpness, color rendition, etc. as the captures were really not thorough or controlled enough for any of that. With all of that said, I hope it's somewhat interesting to someone. If not, then, well, I meant well and tried. Thanks.

f/4

Name:	040 - 1915 Verito.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	206301

Name:	040 - 1920 Verito.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	206302