Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My LED enlarger lightsource instructions / Complete parts list and build

Re: My LED enlarger lightsource instructions / Complete parts list and build

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    As a guy who still thinks Morse Code is difficult

I am wondering about ANY dangers of Arduino Malware and poking around for any Truth

I wonder if this is up to date https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/new...-a-chromebook/

and how about Cloud coding with https://codebender.cc/ which seems ideal

Seems some think an Arduino cannot be made into invasive Malware through USB...
    Virtually any USB, IDE, SATA, Parallel or PCI(e) device can be made into a malware conduit. If you're that paranoid (or that high a profile target), suggest you avoid any electronics with VLSI circuitry.

It's risk vs. reward-- Reward for hacking arduinos at the factory is minimal, risk for the factory is huge. Look at what Huwei is being subjected to, at least partly because they're a competitor to western companies-- but also because there have been examples of code spying by manufacturers, and it's always ended badly for them.

Similarly, code can be compromised, but you probably can't get low-level enough on the USB port with stock Arduino libraries to achieve anything truly malicious, and NOT using stock libraries is a huge red flag.

My opinion as an IT guy with 30+ years experience is that the risk from Arduino is "low". Your cellphone, your gmail account, your amazon account, are all tracking you much better than Arduino could ever manage.

Also, my opinion is that "cloud computing" simply means "someone else's computer". The level of trust available for cloud computing is roughly zero, because you have no way of auditing their code, their logs, or knowing what security practices they have in place.

Paranoia isn't unreasonable in this day and age-- but you have to be careful not to let it get out of hand. Ultimately, what the Snowden / NSA dump proved is that if a nation-state wants to target you, the odds are in their favor, so if there's anything you don't want the government or others finding out, don't put it on a computer on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    Virtually any USB, IDE, SATA, Parallel or PCI(e) device can be made into a malware conduit. If you're that paranoid (or that high a profile target), suggest you avoid any electronics with VLSI circuitry.

It's risk vs. reward-- Reward for hacking arduinos at the factory is minimal, risk for the factory is huge. Look at what Huwei is being subjected to, at least partly because they're a competitor to western companies-- but also because there have been examples of code spying by manufacturers, and it's always ended badly for them.

Similarly, code can be compromised, but you probably can't get low-level enough on the USB port with stock Arduino libraries to achieve anything truly malicious, and NOT using stock libraries is a huge red flag.

My opinion as an IT guy with 30+ years experience is that the risk from Arduino is "low". Your cellphone, your gmail account, your amazon account, are all tracking you much better than Arduino could ever manage.

Also, my opinion is that "cloud computing" simply means "someone else's computer". The level of trust available for cloud computing is roughly zero, because you have no way of auditing their code, their logs, or knowing what security practices they have in place.

Paranoia isn't unreasonable in this day and age-- but you have to be careful not to let it get out of hand. Ultimately, what the Snowden / NSA dump proved is that if a nation-state wants to target you, the odds are in their favor, so if there's anything you don't want the government or others finding out, don't put it on a computer on the internet.
    My words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not worried, just thinking out loud

as usual

Quote Originally Posted by elgatosuizo View Post
    My words.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I am not worried, just thinking out loud

as usual
    Forums are for loud thinking. I like that.

I found a error in the code due to an obsolete Infrared remote control part I added first. . I removed the IR library reference and cleaned up the parts related to it.
    I added here a ZIP file with the corrected code. GitHib Project is updated too (https://github.com/Mglattfelder/Enla...ED-Lightsource)
    Has anyone come forward with an own LED project?

RGB_LED__COLORHEAD_CONTROLLER.zip

Thanks.. Just received the last part I was waiting for. Should get started assembling soon.

I hope this is not a duplicate question that I asked before, but when I used to program C++, using the compiler, I used to step through "example" programs to see how they work. Last time I checked this, It seems like I would need to get an Arduino device hooked to a USB cable to get the compiler software to do the same. Is that true? Or can I test-run sample program in a total software environment?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I hope this is not a duplicate question that I asked before, but when I used to program C++, using the compiler, I used to step through "example" programs to see how they work. Last time I checked this, It seems like I would need to get an Arduino device hooked to a USB cable to get the compiler software to do the same. Is that true? Or can I test-run sample program in a total software environment?
    You need the Arduino IDE @ https://www.arduino.cc/en/main/software
    There are some Software environements that allow you to write Arduino code if you install some sort of plug-in. At least I know that from visual sudio. But it won't be a real advantage IMHO. If you want to mare a real step throuhg you need an Arduino emulator. I never used such an emulator an tested always the Software on the device itself.
    The archaic way is use an Arduino Hardware and set some Serial.Println() with the actual variables values as messages and see in the serial monitor what's going on. But a real step by step code run can't be really done as the Sofware runs on a different device than the computer you are using for programming.

Downloaded the update

I have all parts, but this is now a Winter project in NA

Thanks for the followup!
    Tin Can

I am in the same situation, waiting to get through the next couple months before I start on mine.