Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technika folded with lens attached

Technika folded with lens attached

HI,

Does anybody have some guidelines for what lenses can be attached to a Tech V and then close the camera?

Specific examples work, or a guideline like Copal no. 1 and filter size < xx mm.

Thanks!

Re: Technika folded with lens attached

Quote Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
    HI,

Does anybody have some guidelines for what lenses can be attached to a Tech V and then close the camera?

Specific examples work, or a guideline like Copal no. 1 and filter size < xx mm.

Thanks!
    Up to a 150mm on a recessed 001015 lens board. Those lenses would be in a 0 shutter. Modern wide angles will not fold in the camera. If you look at the bed of the camera with the rails retracted you will see a circle. The front group of the lens must fit within that circle to fold in the body.

Hello Mike,

I think this is a very important question, because it shows how spacious the Linhof Technika is. The clou is: you can always leave a lens in the camera, no matter if it's a Super-Angulon 8/75 or an Apo-Ronar 9/300. With many other cameras this is not possible: this causes space problems in the backpack, dust on the lens, bent release levers, a fiddly camera setup. Therefore I prefer the Linhof, even though others are a little bit lighter.

These lenses work with a Technika IV of course, these are older lenses ...

Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 8/75 with 1 filter 52mm, Copal 0, recessed lensboard
    Fujinon NW 5,6/105 with 1 filter 46mm, Copal 0
    Fujinon NW 5,6/125 with 1 filter 46mm, Copal 0
    Fujinon NW 5,6/135 with 1 filter 52mm, Copal 0
    Rodenstock Geronar 6.8/150 with 1 filter 40.5mm, Copal 0
    Rodenstock Sironar N 5,6/150 with 1 filter 49mm, Copal 0
    Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 5.6/150 with 1 filter 49mm, Compur Electronic 1 without battery holder
    Fujinon A 9/180 with 1 filter 46mm, Copal 0
    Schneider-Kreuznach G-Claron 9/210 with 1 filter 49mm, Copal 1
    Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 9/300 with 1 filter 49mm, Copal 1

Beware of the Fujinon SWD 5,6/65. Although it's a very good lens, it won't fit into the Linhof wide angle device, nor into the Schneider-Kreuznach focusing helicoid that fits into the ordinary Copal 3 lens board, nor into a recessed lens board - all these things were designed for Super Angulons, where the rear lens is smaller than the front lens... The diameter of the rear lens of the Fujinon is always 1 mm too large ... What a bad luck! But another reason to put it onto a Linhof Kardan Color, on a flat lens board.

Regards

Thanks for the Info Bob and Daniel.

I have just purchased a Super Technika V and have just tested my Nikkor W 150mm f5.6 on a flat lens board.
    I can confirm that this lens folds into the camera with no lens cap or with a centre-pinch lens cap that does not exceed the OD of the lens. The supplied lens cap slides over the lens which makes the OD too wide to fold in to the camera.

Some lenses need to be mounted on reverse to close the camera. It's possible that the Nikkor W 150 could maintain his cap when mountend in reverse. I have a big Technika 13x18 and some lenses are successfully mounted in reverse position.

It almost certainly would mount in the reverse position since the rear element is quite small. But the convenience of using a different lens cap and not having to reverse the lens far outweighs the desire to keep the supplied lens cap and faff around reversing the lens every time you want to pack the camera away.

Yes, I've also used a Nikkor W 150mm f/5.6 on a flat board without a lens cap. Works fine. I've also used a Fujinon 125mm f/5.6 - I forget the nomenclature of Fuji lenses but it's the one with a pretty small front filter thread in a Copal 0, all black. There is also a version with a much larger front filter thread that probably wouldn't fit.

The modern normal Technika lens is a Schneider APO-Symmar 150mm f/5.6 "L". This lens needs to be on a recessed board to close inside the Technika V/Master. It's a really incredible lens but the Nikkor is much lighter, cheaper, and being on the flat board is nicer for movements and shutter control. Any smaller lenses from Nikon and Fuji should be able to fit collapsed. For wide angles, I believe you may have to look back in time for some pretty old compact ~90-100mm lenses.

I always reversed my Schneider 150mm f5.6 APO and was able to close the camera even with a lens cap attached.

My Technika came with a coupled Schneider Symmar S 150mm f5.6 on a recessed board. The incremental price was not much and I thought it would be interesting to try using the rangefinder. The cost to have the Nikkor coupled would of been more than just taking the Schneider.

The protrusion of the Nikkor on a flat board is very similar to the Schneider on the recessed board. It is certainly easier to adjust the controls on the Nikkor.