Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying large format lenses... (Newby question)

Buying large format lenses... (Newby question)

I notice when looking for a lens many of already mounted to a lens board of various brands. I am about to buy a Toyo 4x5 and am now looking for lenses. I was told in order to remove a lens from a lens board and then mount that lens to a lens board for my camera I need a spanner wrench. Looks like a Toyo spanner wrench looks different from a Rodenstock wrench but the descriptions say they are "universal". Do I need two spanner wrenches? One to remove the lens from whatever lensboard and a Toyo one to attach my lens to a Toyo lens board?

Or I guess I can try to find a lens that is already mounted to a Toyo lens board.

Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Thank you,

David

Re: Buying large format lenses... (Newby question)

Universal is universal. And for this one-off job I'd buy something cheap on Ebay.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

You can use any spanner wrench that'll fit the notches in the retaining ring that holds the lens to the board. I've also found that the inexpensive wrenches can work just as well as the brand-specific wrenches, which can be overpriced IMHO.
    Adjustable wrenches like this one at Micro-Tools work great, just need to make sure the adjustment range of the wrench covers the diameter of the retaining ring you're removing/installing.
    Lens boards for your camera are available in different size holes to fit a variety of lenses. I'd first find the lens you need/want (with or without a board), then get a lens board that is drilled to match. Very easy to find on eBay.

usually the flat plate spanner wrenches (as opposed to the adjustable ones) have each side cut with pins at the correct distance for a certain shutter's retaining ring. So, since it has 4 sides, its universal for size shutters cut into the sides--copal 0, copal 1, and copal 3 will probably be on most, then the 4th one might be a seiko size, a copal 00, or something else. Alternatively, you could buy an adjustable wrench--then it would potentially fit everything, but wouldn't be as convenient.

Basically the retaining ring looks like this:

and the plate has pins the exact with to engage those notches.

They are quite different. The Rodenstock fits 0, 1 and 3 shutters. The Toyo only fits 0 and 1 shutters. So universal doesn’t fit the Toyo.

You can also make your own. Just take careful measurements.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

to follow up on John's suggestion:
    drive finishing nails through a small piece of wood, at the precise measured distance between the slots, or holes in the ring.
    This is much stronger than the low cost adjustable wrenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    to follow up on John's suggestion:
    drive finishing nails through a small piece of wood, at the precise measured distance between the slots, or holes in the ring.
    This is much stronger than the low cost adjustable wrenches.
    Neither the Toyo or the Rodenstock wrenches are adjustable. The Rodenstock is stainless steel. Look it up!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

These home-made spanner wrenches are better than any factory-made spanner wrenches I've used. Adjustable by screwing the angled screws in and out, very solid, and lots of leverage in an easy-to-hold mount. Inexpensive too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0078.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Drew Wiley

I use a right-angle needle-nosed pliers that I've ground the tips even finer on. Works well on any shutter ring up to a no.3. Make sure you remove both front and rear lens elements before attempting to remove the ring - one slip might scratch and ruin the optics themselves!