Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Luland Produced Super Large Format Camera 3D panorama Tripod Head

Re: Luland Produced Super Large Format Camera 3D panorama Tripod Head

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Does everyone here drive a Daimler-Benz?
    Had 3 got tired of $400 oil changes. Now drive Toyotas!

Does everyone here drive a Daimler-Benz?
    https://www.daimler.com/company/trad...1885-1886.html

Thus all other makes are copies

Times like this I wish this forum had a like button.

Consider your post liked Peter.

David

Sal, you must not have owned a Triumph...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I'll see your Triumph and raise you a Lada Niva...
    No, I was at least smart enough to avoid purchasing automobiles with reputations for unreliability. Benz lore said it was the Energizer Bunny of cars. While my teenage contemporaries dreamed of American muscle cars, I fantasized about Mercedes sedans. I saved pennies for a decade after obtaining my degree, and we picked up one in Sindelfingen on the European Delivery Plan, then drove around there for a month before dropping it off at Bremerhaven for its ocean voyage here.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Had 3 got tired of $400 oil changes...
    I'm a retired engineer. Benz oil changes cost me no more than those for any other vehicle, since I performed all maintenance and repairs myself. Scheduled maintenance and lots of repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    ...Now drive Toyotas!
    My Benz, when working, was a wonderful vehicle. The drivetrain mechanicals were bulletproof, but just about every "peripheral" failed, many of them multiple times. I often lamented that, in a perfect world, Mercedes engineers would have performed the top-level design and Toyota engineers completed detailed design, with Toyota factories manufacturing the vehicle. If that were how my 1985 model came into existence, it's very likely I'd still be driving it today, 35 years later.

Drew Wiley

Well, very few Phillips camera are out there, and the asking prices are very high, even though most folks would be shocked at how little I paid for my serial no. 009 Phillips, which still works wonderfully. So it is completely forgivable if people resort to buying Chamonix cameras of similar design, which is not in fact an iffy knockoff; they went into business asking permission from Dick Phillips to begin with, after he had retired from making his own cameras. Likewise, it's inevitable that things similar to the Ries head are going to be marketed. The question is, are they of equal quality? My Ries tripods per se are not only a time-tested design, but involve all non-ferrous hardware plus a superb warranty. How many brands can boast that? I once dropped one off a cliff and split a leg. When I admitted all that up front and asked the price of a new leg section, they refused to charge me, and promptly sent a free replacement. It's that kind of thing that creates long-term customer loyalty.

My Otto tripods and heads preceded Ries, I believe. The tripods are lighter, stronger, and easier to use. The heads are models of simplicity and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My Otto tripods and heads preceded Ries, I believe. The tripods are lighter, stronger, and easier to use. The heads are models of simplicity and strength.
    Which of course is why Otto prevailed in the marketplace and Ries fell by the wayside.

Oh no, wait, never mind.

David

Acquired a Luland head about a year ago. A friend saw it FS and described it to me. Actually thought that it was a Ries head by his description, so told him to buy it for me. When I received it, it turned out to be a Luland and not a Ries to my surprise. I have a larger Ries head that I use with my 11x14, and I have to say that the Luland head's quality of construction and finish in every way matches my Ries head which really surprised me based on other Chinese rip offs that I have had experience with. But in the future should I ever need to acquire another Ries/Luland tripod head, I would most certainly go the Ries way. Have spoken to them many times over the phone, and they have always been more than helpful in their advice to me. There's something so much different from corresponding with Luland via Email verses talking with an actual person at Ries in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Acquired a Luland head about a year ago. A friend saw it FS and described it to me. Actually thought that it was a Ries head by his description, so told him to buy it for me. When I received it, it turned out to be a Luland and not a Ries to my surprise. I have a larger Ries head that I use with my 11x14, and I have to say that the Luland head's quality of construction and finish in every way matches my Ries head which really surprised me based on other Chinese rip offs that I have had experience with. But in the future should I ever need to acquire another Ries/Luland tripod head, I would most certainly go the Ries way. Have spoken to them many times over the phone, and they have always been more than helpful in their advice to me. There's something so much different from corresponding with Luland via Email verses talking with an actual person at Ries in the USA.
    This is just my opinion and I have no objection to anything you said but this sort of allegiance always surprises me. Companies would not blink twice to outsource fabrication or even outsource the support personnel oversees if it made sense to them financially. Most that can, do. Generally speaking, capitalism has no allegiance but to profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I'll see your Triumph and raise you a Lada Niva I bought new in 1995 IIRC
    I had a Lada Niva, also bought new in 1995. A real off road, a pleasant vehicle to face the Amazon, which served me well for one year in Manaus. Then, the acidic water in the city completely corroded the axles of the water pumps for windshield and headlight wipers, doors didn't close properly, the starter didn't work, electrical breaks routinely left me in the dark. The real Soviet nightmare.
    As I always needed 4x4's, my current 2015 Mitsubishi Pajero TR4 I hope will be my last car purchase.