Thread: Copal No. 3 repair help.

Copal No. 3 repair help.

My Copal #3 is in need of servicing: its slow speeds are very slow, and it tends to stick on 1 second. I have quite a bit of experience servicing Compur shutters (On Kodak Retina models) but I know nothing about the Copal shutters. I've seen some diagrams and instruction on servicing some of the other Copal shutters, but not the #3. Can anyone point me to any helpful/instructional documents or diagrams? Thank you

Paul

Re: Copal No. 3 repair help.

If you've opened up a shutter before, I don't think you would find a Copal much different than a Compur honestly. The same things tend to need attention, slow speed gear train etc. DIY shutter CLAs are a little controversial, so take this with a grain of salt, but I typically start by seeing if it's practical to just take the slow speed gear train out and immerse it in a solvent like lighter fluid first. Maybe a couple tiny drops of oil on the gear pins (or just skip that). Put it back in and see if that helps you at all, then go from there. Work slow and don't get yourself into a situation where you have gone too far.

Re: Copal No. 3 repair help.

I looked at a couple of youtube videos on servicing the Copal shutter. shut it off after 4 minutes. I don't think I have the tools, temperament or physical skills to unscrew the front cover.

For the last 10-15 years, I have had my LF shutters serviced by Professional Camera Repair in Houston.

http://www.professionalcamerarepair.com/
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!