Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive LOUPE for focus?

Inexpensive LOUPE for focus?

https://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/L14813.html

First, I have NO connection to this company other than having bought items from them in the past. If you are looking for an inexpensive Loupe to help with focus you might check this one out.

I don't have one - as I have three others. But the price and such might make it worth looking at for some of our folks here.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Re: Inexpensive LOUPE for focus?

But the low magnification, clear base and lack o diopter adjustment may not make it a good choice

I agree that the low magnification is a disadvantage. I prefer the 5-8x range personally. A clear base is no disadvantage at all. My primary focus magnifiers are aspherical 6x stamp magnifiers, with no base at all. They float freely above the ground glass and allow me to tilt the magnifier to see into the corners. I don't like touching the base of a magnifier to the ground glass in the first place; too easy to move things around or scratch the plastic Fresnel on many cameras.

Best,

Doremus

Isn't that about the same magnification of the popular Toyo loupe? I've used that for many years...But now I mostly use the longer Horseman loupe..I forget what magnification it is. I'm tempted to buy the Surplus Shed loupe just to see it..

There is a Toyo loupe for sale on the forum here, 4x for $xxx..

I use the inexpensive Peak 5x but wrapped the clear base with black electrical tape.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Drew Wiley

Unless something is a bargain simply because it's used and no longer needed, the old adage generally applies : you get what you pay for.
    I have a couple relatively cheap magnifiers myself for the sorting light table. But the critical light box in the enlarging room, where I carefully inspect the and clean the film before printing, necessarily has relatively expensive high-quality magnifiers. When it comes to groundglass loupes, you only get on crack at it, unless you want to waste another sheet of potentially expensive film, and especially in dim light, why gamble? I happen to use Peak/Nikon/Horseman 7X loupes, which are petite and mid-priced, but not cheap by any means.

If you are comfy with that low magnification another option is a pair of simple 3.5x reading glasses. Cheap, available if lost or forgotten and frees you hands while focusing.

Another reading glass convert...going with a pair of 4X (12.00 from my local optometrist) - perfect combo for 5x7 with fresnel screen, great to use both eyes!

A minor detail:
    magnification for loupes is magnification = 25 cm / focal length.
    "magnification" for reading glasses is in diopters = 100 cm / focal length.
    They operate somewhat differently because usually you put a loupe close to the subject and your eye may be further away, while reading glasses are usually closer to your eyes than the subject. But anyway, a 4x loupe isn't directly equal to a +4 pair of reading glasses. Both can work depending on your vision and taste.