Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Seeking the perfect monorail

Re: Seeking the perfect monorail

Not sure if the Sinar P rear with camera mount is needed. It is completely possible to make up something that will fit your needs better. Sinar rails have a M6 threaded stud on one end and M6 nut on the other end. It is very possible to make up a camera mount that fits with the Sinar rail negating the need for the P rear and camera mount. This is the kind of stuff cinema folks make up as needed all the time. Essentially, the basic system with this degree of adaptability is what can work for this image making need.

As for lenses, pick what ever is needed to achieve your image making goals.. Long as it is mostly within the physical limits of the Sinar lens board, the lens-optic will work within the Sinar system. Have FUN.

Dolly shots will demand multi points of very rigid and stable support for the Sinar rail. Simply add Sinar rail clamps as needed to a stable base HARD mounted to the dolly. A set up like that could do the trick. IMO, this rig will need more than two Sinar rail clamps and all related.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    This looks like about as good as we're going to do, so I am looking for an F1/2 and associated accessories now.
    We'll see how horrible the wobble is - I might have to abandon the notion of dolly shots altogether and accept that we won't be able to get stable motion with this technique, but I am eager to try.

I'll be sure to report back once I have finished the project (it may be a little while). This has been hugely helpful, and I'll may seek all of your expertise again as we move forward.

Now to settle on what lenses to try for...

Drew Wiley

I've seen over a dozen Sinar rail clamps mounted to a structural steel I-beam for a rock-solid super-long bellows microphotography setup. There are times I eliminated the rail clamps completely, and used stainless U-bolts to retain an extra long rail & bellows in a channel routed into a long section of maple hardwood for analogous stability. There are all kinds of possibilities. For those willing to sell their personal jet to finance a really fancy Sinar, there was even a model with completely remote focus and movement controls via servos and a computer interface. It's truly a SYSTEM, like Lego blocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disney-world-monorail.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	205893

All this talk of monorails ...

Thank you. My fingers kept twitching every time I saw the subject.

Drew Wiley

Not quite the same thing. If you want that, get a big cable with high voltage plug at the other end, and alligator clip it to your main camera rail. Cheap thrills.

Perfection doesn't exist. That said, I'd get a Sinar F2 (or P2-heavier & more money) 4x5, reasonably easy to find used and as good a field monorail as has been made. Should meet most of your criteria, except maybe for weight, my F2 is 8# 2.5 oz.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 18-Jul-2020 at 10:26.

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disney-world-monorail.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	205893

All this talk of monorails ...
    Me too, but it was this one:

Hah Hah ^^
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 17-Jul-2020 at 16:26.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Arca-Swiss

The Arca-Swiss field camera is under six pounds and as it is modular could be used for many different formats and both digital and film choices. I currently shoot a GFX50R on my Field, as well as 75mm and up to 450mm lenses for 4x5 film. It does require a longer bellows for lenses longer than 300mm but that is so light and compact it is no issue. On the shorter end you can go down to 55mm in 4x5 film lenses on a flat lens board with the standard bellows. With a recessed 47mm XL Schneider is possible. Precise and with a Graflock back meaning you could use roll backs with no issue. Extremely rigid and compact. Sits on a folding 300mm rail hand collapses down to 6" for back packing. For extending besides the bellows mentioned above, you would need a single plug-in extension rail and lens boards, of course. That is it. Screen is superb both with wide angle and long lenses. Extremely compact.
    See info link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cp6qnbc46...mpact.pdf?dl=0
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com