Thread: Sinar Auto-Aperture Shutter

Scott Davis

Sinar Auto-Aperture Shutter

What's the diameter of the shutter opening in a Sinar Shutter? I have a lens I'd like to use with one so I can sync a flash with it, but I don't know if it would vignette the lens.

Photographer

Re: Sinar Auto-Aperture Shutter

I measured 82mm at the front of the opening and 75mm at the back. I don't know if different shutters will have different measurements. There have been several versions.
    Keith Pitman

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I measured 82mm at the front of the opening and 75mm at the back. I don't know if different shutters will have different measurements. There have been several versions.
    Thanks! It gives me a starting ballpark. I know that will work for at least one of the lenses I'm looking at. But I might have to rig some kind of spacer as their rear element sticks out behind the lens board by more than a few millimeters.

Scott, my thread would help with a similar issue.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-swiss-cameras

My solution is making a custom mounting ring.
    Your solution also depends on whether you mount the lens in the normal direction to the sinar shutter,
    or in the reverse like my example which has a less clearance between the lensboard and the shutter blades.

Peco Profia to Norma Shutter Adapter by Nokton48, on Flickr

A friend (he's a clockmaker/camera tech) made me this Norma Shutter to Plaubel Peco Profia Adapter which works great. Some day I will paint it Norma green.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Rear lens element does not fit into the front of the Sinar shutter? Done this many, many times works no problems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210mm, 300mm, 480mm Xenar.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	205788

Basically make a collar out of aluminum to move the lens position away from front opening of the Sinar shutter.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Thanks! It gives me a starting ballpark. I know that will work for at least one of the lenses I'm looking at. But I might have to rig some kind of spacer as their rear element sticks out behind the lens board by more than a few millimeters.

Photographer

Here’s another one: The aluminum ring was machined by a friend. It was necessary because the back of this lens would have extended into the Sinar shutter. The Sinar shutter is mounted in reversed position using a Luland adapter so it would fit on the Chamonix camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1BA3E7C5-1AB0-476D-84E2-21C95E9D6217.jpg  
    Keith Pitman

I should mention that Sinar mentions in the Norma Shutter Manual that the rear cell of the lens should ideally be within 1mm of the front of the shutter blades.

In this way mechanical vignetting can be avoided in some situations/certain lenses. I have always tried to adhere to this, of course impossible if the lens diameter is bigger than the shutter opening
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

If you don't have access to metal working facilities you can always use wood and a large hole saw. This is 25mm (1") plywood, you could layer thinner pieces to get the correct thickness.

You would need a robust drill press, plenty of patience, and to clamp everything very securely. A fire extinguisher might come in handy on thicker pieces.

Name:	DSC_3444.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	205877 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3445.jpg 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	205878

There are also all sorts of Sinar 'top hat' boards that can be altered to suit.

Name:	DSC_3446.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	205879

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by peter brooks View Post
    If you don't have access to metal working facilities you can always use wood and a large hole saw. This is 25mm (1") plywood, you could layer thinner pieces to get the correct thickness.

You would need a robust drill press, plenty of patience, and to clamp everything very securely. A fire extinguisher might come in handy on thicker pieces.

Name:	DSC_3444.jpg 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	205877 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3445.jpg 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	205878

There are also all sorts of Sinar 'top hat' boards that can be altered to suit.

Name:	DSC_3446.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	205879
    The problem is that I no longer have a drill press nor do I have easy access to one (I don't think the woodworking club in my area is open at this time). I'm looking into 3D printing as an option. Still doing some investigating- I've had some wildly varying recommendations on how to approach it so I'm still just as confused as I was before.