Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Un-Announcement of My Carbon Workshop, Yosemite, Oct 2020

An Un-Announcement of My Carbon Workshop, Yosemite, Oct 2020

Although Yosemite National Park is open, as is the Ansel Adam Gallery, it has been decided to cancel all the fall workshops at the AA Gallery, including my carbon workshop in October. I will miss it, but I will not miss the opportunity to bring Covid-19 back to my home town afterwards. I will use that time wisely, as it is the beginning of a great light under the redwoods...and perhaps some fall backpacking if Redwood Creek has not risen yet (I'll not complain if it does -- we need the rain).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: An Un-Announcement of My Carbon Workshop, Yosemite, Oct 2020

It's funny how photographers see light by seasons. There are days and times that I can expect a certain light, dependent on weather. Some of those days may be the only time if the year that a particular scene exists.

Also there different plants under the redwoods that have leaves that turn yellow over the fall -- first the Big Leaf Maples...mostly done or just finishing their peak by the first rains, then a slight break in the rain and the vine maples turn followed by the various berries and buckthorn. The use of a yellow filter allows one to play with the yellow of the leaves. And as winter comes, all the alders and berries have lost their leaves and the view opens up under the redwoods. I almost dread the first budding out of the alders...especially if I have not spent enough winter time under the Reds.

When the rains come, the colors and smells change, and the light pools under the openings in the canopy instead of shafting down. I just got back for a few days of backpacking with the 5x7 -- all in the redwoods. Loading up the Expert Drums tonight and will develop tomorrow. Even in summer I had a collection of weather -- woke up to mornings of sun, fog, and fog-drizzle that one might as well call rain.

Prairie Creek in the Fall of 1980 (4x5 enlarged to about 7x19 silver print) may not have used a yellow filter that long ago
    Mill Creek in the Fall of ~2017 (8x10, contact, carbon print) with yellow filter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC1980.jpg   MillCr2017.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Wonderful descriptive words of a place and time I will never see

again

thank you
    Last edited by Tin Can; 11-Jul-2020 at 10:45.
    Tin Can

Vaughn,

Beautiful images!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Vaughn,

Beautiful images!
    Thanks -- hope I did not get your feet wet!

Winter can be a pretty cool time to photograph out of the redwoods, too.

Looking across the Merced River, Yosemite Valley one February day. Taking a page out of AA's playbook, I selenium toned the upper half of the 4x10 negative to snap up the forest up there. Carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MercedRiverSnow.jpg  

Eric Woodbury

Dang it Vaughn, your photos beg me to go back to Humboldt. I lived there a couple years and my girlfriend (now wife) was a ranger there. We sure miss it. It's nice to see a wide horizontal when you are surrounded by 'the tall trees'. Good work.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Wow what a bummer. I was so looking forward to teaching this again with you. Well it looks like my trip to the Redwoods on the way down to Yosemite will be extended for a much longer time.

Sounds like a plan...