Thread: Wood Working on old LF camera back--repair & suggestions 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Scoville

Wood Working on old LF camera back--repair & suggestions 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Scoville

The Scovill film back has 2 sets of holes in in configuration--for vertical & horizontal shooting---with the holes aligned with small "brass stubs" in the existing wooden camera frame & if placed correctly, the film back holder is set in place by 2 brass clasps and the aligned brass stubs.

My problem is with the holes---due to age and usage, the holes in the wooden frame are either non operational or not providing proper alignment & fitting to the camera back. I have used "wood filler", and remade the holes, however, the wood filler does not hold up for long and eventually breaks down.

What I need is a wordsmith, or such to tell me what "wood filler" is the very best on the market, small quantity is needed--a wood filler which will "hold" in the existing holes and which can be drilled into to create new holes for proper alignment.

What "wood filler" is as tough as nails and will hold and adhere to the existing wooden film holder----????I would need to create new holes to align with the brass stubs. ????

Re: Wood Working on old LF camera back--repair & suggestions 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Scoville

This would be my course of action:

1. Enlarge holes to a standard dowel size...preferably using a drill press.
    2.Glue in hardwood dowel. Let dry for a day or two.
    3. Drill small pilot hole, preferably using drill press.
    4. Drill required size hole, as above..
    Best of luck!