Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Camera Musing

Re: 8x10 Camera Musing

A c1 is heavy but it has good movements.

Thanks, Peter and Kumar.

Not arguing with either of you, but I'm trying to find one camera that can do what I'd need.
    I'd like to do my portraits, duck out for an occasional building/urban shot, and also have the option of shooting some wet plates when I want to.

The Toyo 810M is the best choice, I think. It's got good movements, plenty of extension, is extremely solid, precise and reliable and parts are readily available.
    I've shot lots of portraits and architecture with it, and it'd be fine for collodion, too.

I think if the Arca is a no-go, I would likely get another 810M and use it until all my vertebrae were compressed.

If money is no object then the 8x10 Arca Swiss F metric is IMHO a great option and still very portable at ~ 4 Kg with telescoping rails.

Considered the Calumet also, Jim, and there's lots there to recommend.
    Ultimately, if I go that heavy, I'd choose the 810M.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    If money is no object then the 8x10 Arca Swiss F metric is IMHO a great option and still very portable at ~ 4 Kg with telescoping rails.
    Yes! I like this post!
    Kiwi, do you own one? If so, what do you think the front standard can handle? A 2- or 3-pound lens? More?

Ari, it's obvious that you have your heart set on an Arca-Swiss. I hope that you find one that will meet your needs; you'll be happier using the camera that you want.
    I've used a few different 8x10 cameras over many years; none were perfect. Most of your possible future cameras have already been mentioned- get the one that makes you feel good.
    To quote Alexander Calder, "Fine tools contribute to fine work."
    Best of luck!

Thanks, Mark.
    You're right, I do wonder about this Arca business a lot, mostly because I've tried almost everything else out there and eventually sold it.
    Over time, tastes and preferences change, as do shooting styles, subjects and processes/working methods.
    I'm now headed in a direction I wouldn't have thought possible 5 years ago, and I'd like to pursue it as much as I can, while I can, so having the right tool really helps.
    I don't like having too many cameras anymore. One or two is enough.
    Maybe a third for vacation photos.

8x10 Camera Musing

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Yes! I like this post!
    Kiwi, do you own one? If so, what do you think the front standard can handle? A 2- or 3-pound lens? More?
    It can handle my heaviest lens which is the Nikon SW 150, about 2 lbs 5 oz without issues. Solid. I don’t have anything heavier to try.

Thank you

I got to use an Arca F-line for a few months. It's a brilliant system. If money were no object, that's what I'd get for an all-around camera system. I have Sinars, mainly because I couldn't afford an Arca. For just studio work, Sinar Ps are terrific, but the Arcas are much better in the field. Sure, not all of their movements are geared, but the ones that aren't are so smooth and secure to operate that it isn't a problem. It's an advantage, because it gives you a lighter camera. I never used the Orbix or other fancier versions. In my opinion, and Arca F is superior to a Sinar F2 by quite a margin. I do prefer a Sinar P2 to an Arca M for studio work, though. (We had an Arca M at the commercial studio I worked at for awhile.)
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know